Beaver Dam Bound

rsimms

I am preparing to depart Thursday for the hallowed grounds of Nash Buckingham, one of the greatest outdoor writers of all time. It will be my second visit to Mississippi's famous Beaver Dam Lake, home of Beaver Dam Hunting Services with guides Lamar and Mike Boyd. As always we will be subject to the whims of Mother Nature and often unpredictable, mysterious waterfowl - but hunting in the heart of the Mississippi Delta, we will be at duck hunting's Ground Zero. Regardless of the hunting, the company, the scenery and the ambiance will be of epic proportions. Duck hunting will be followed up by a crappie excursion with Barton Outfitters on Arkabutla Lake. Sometimes I feel guilty about being a professional outdoor communicator, but I manage to get over it. 🙂 You can read and watch more about Beaver Dam Hunting, and the amazing history of the area, from a previous trip there a few years back: Hunting the Legendary Beaver Dam Lake

IMG_1579.jpgIMG_1597.jpgIMG_8535.jpgIMG_8547.jpgIMG_8549.jpg

TAFKAP

My old boss used to have a fishing membership there each spring. It's quite the storied place. With the warm weather going on, you might dip a crappie jig in the water if the birds aren't flying

Harold Money jr

I absolutely love anything from Nash Buckingham. A keen eye might notice my nod to ole Nash in my screen name. To say I'm jealous would be correct. I wish you were shooting a back bored Becker shotgun with 32" tubes that makes a unique sound when it goes off.

Westtnduckhtr

I will be driving by it tomorrow on my way across the river to Helena. I always stop at the Blue and White to eat on the way. I will be hunting on the other side of the river for about ten days, hopefully the weather will cool off. Good luck, the greys should be flying.

Displaced_Vol

Can't wait to read about it and see some pics. Just started on "The Best of Nash Buckingham" by George Bird Evans.
I've heard & read a bit about him and Beaver Dam but this will be the first time I've read any of his stuff.

hootywho

I've hunted the private (non-outfitter) sections of Beaver Dam many times. Truly a neat experience watching greys and mallards fall from the sky while tucked up in the woods. One can only imagine that same scene over a hundred years ago. Can you imagine sitting around a fire with Horace, tugging on a bit of Brooklyn Handicap and reminiscing? Enjoy.

Displaced_Vol

Ramsey Russell's podcast, Duck Season Somehwere, did an episode with the owners earlier this fall. Worth the listen if you're interested in duck hunting history for sure

spoon

Did a lot of duck and deer hunting there in the early 80's. We would duck hunt in the morning with Jim Crain, Dr. Chubby Andrews and Sonny Bower, then deer hunt on Sterling Owens land. He owned Beaver Dam.

If you have time, read the journals when Nash hunted there. He would ride the train down from Memphis drop him off almost at the front door. Some days he wouldn't hunt unless he knew he would over 100 ducks and geese

fairchaser

Cool place with a lot of history. I had a fishing membership there years ago and been on the lake many times. I could visualize the ducks flying overhead and the stories of epic hunts. These historic spots don't last forever. Best of luck.

Latest posts