BDC Reticle

Food Plot 101

Please help this idiot. Here's my situation: Scope is Nikon Monarch 3.5 X 10 X 50mm with BDC reticle. Gun is REM 700 300 WinMag. The problem: I have sighted in dead on at 100yds., no problem. Manual says nothing about next dot below, as in how many yards it's supposed to be good for. Is it 150, 200, 250? What about the next dot, the next?
Thanks.

cdw338

That yardage will change with the type of head you are reloadiing or the type you purchase. The grain weight of the
bullet will also effect the yardage.

The only way I know to determine the distance for each dot is to shoot at the distances and make you a range chart.

I have scopes with BDC's, however I never seam to have time to
change the settings while hunting and as far as I know had not
made a lot of difference in most hunting situations

However if you have the time and are shooting long distance, it could make a lot of difference.

Good shooting and good luck.

skynimrod

Next dot down should be close to 200yds, or 300yds probably with a 300 mag. Ya just have to find out with your rifle and load.

Food Plot 101

Thanks. I don't reload and can't afford to practice too much at $30.00 a box!! I shoot factory Remington 150 grain corelockt. DA, what's a target turret? Like an adjustable dial for your scope for elevation?

vonb

For each dot in your Nikon BDC reticle.

Yardage Inches MOA
200 4 1.91
300 13.51 4.3
400 28.02 6.69
500 55.03 10.51
600 90.04 14.33

Now, go out to JBM Ballistics and find out how your load that fits the DOPE.

jakeway

Think of the circles like multiple pins on a bow sight. Different bows shoot different arrows at different speeds, so the gap between the pins should be different for each bow.

Since you can't adjust the spacing of the "dots" on teh scope reticle, you have to shoot and find out what the distance is for each dot for your particular gun and load.

Personally, I just bought my first ballistic reticle (Burris) and haven't mounted it on my gun yet. I intend to use it not so much for different ranges, but as a reference point for when I change from deer loads to varmit loads. I don't know how well it will work, but it will be fun experimenting.

And you really should take up hand loading! ;-)

Whelen Man

R.I.P.
You're right in your thinking that the spacing of the circles or lines as the case may be will only be correct for the power you zeroed it with which is usually the highest power on the scope which you would probably be using for a long range shot anyway. Some scopes with Mildots require the scope to be on a specific power also which may not necessarily be the highest power but is usually marked on the power ring.

Latest posts