Bass. Not what I was expecting

Dbllunger

So I headed out for some late afternoon striper fishing yesterday. I knew the water may not be perfect but I figured I could make it work. Now you all know I never reveal my striper waters even though I think most of you know where it probably is. Lets just say the water is very cold. Like 59-63 all summer long. In all the years I and my friends have fished these waters we have seen maybe 2 largemouth bass and they have been very small. Never one over 1.5 pounds probably.

Well yesterday as I am cranking back my 7" custom redfin I made, wham! At first I though "little rockfish" but as I started cranking I got a glimpse of it in the clear water and said "What the he##?" It was a largemouth bass. Very bizarre and unexpected. It weighed in at 6lbs on the boga grips. My friend that was there has been fishing that river for close to 60 years and said he has never seen one even approach that size. Anyway we snapped a few quick pics and released that rascal for another day. Never know what you are going to see fishing.

Also the rockfishing wasn't bad. I managed 4 fish yesterday but nothing big. They were 18, 14, 12 and 12 pounds. My buddy caught one about 12 pounds. Good numbers just no big fish.

Attachments

• IMG_20180620_191353911.jpg
    IMG_20180620_191353911.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 2,247
  • IMG_20180620_191557872.jpg
    IMG_20180620_191557872.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 2,249

catman529

I've seen a couple largemouth hanging out near the dam, never caught one in that body of water to my memory though. I have caught channel cats there though.

And that is really pretty for a ditch pickle. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Smo

Nice fish and nice bait!

If you ever get down in South Fl in Snook territory, tie one of those baits on...

It would be a Snook killer , I caught several on a similar style bait.

Congrats again on a good fish !

Dbllunger

Heading to Florida tomorrow! Not snook waters though. Going to spend the week fishing for specks, reds and flounder in St. Joe's bay at cape san blas.
Smo":ubkm7xer said:
Nice fish and nice bait!

If you ever get down in South Fl in Snook territory, tie one of those baits on...

It would be a Snook killer , I caught several on a similar style bait.

Congrats again on a good fish !

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

cowhunter71

Caught a nice sauger(walleye) on a trailered bucktail out of the river last night. Thought those were Yankee fish and had no idea they were even here. :)

Daniel90

cowhunter71":10xouw40 said:
Caught a nice sauger(walleye) on a trailered bucktail out of the river last night. Thought those were Yankee fish and had no idea they were even here. :)
Decent population of saugeye down there.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk