Baitfish ID

Pilchard

What's this? Nice looking bait. Anything I should know about them? Special regulations, are they hardy or do they die easy, what likes to eat them, etc?

IMG_5694.jpeg

woodsman04

I don't know what they are, but I think it's a type of shiner. I use a cast net to catch them and creek chubs wading creeks. Those and the regular creek chubs are good bait for smallmouth, stripers, and flat head cats in my experience.

They do not live long. I use a bait cooler with an aerator. But you put more than -15-20 in a 35quart cooler and they die quickly. I've never used them in cooler weather though. I usually only use them during the summer dog days when most fishing is slow.

Pilchard

I don't know what they are, but I think it's a type of shiner. I use a cast net to catch them and creek chubs wading creeks. Those and the regular creek chubs are good bait for smallmouth, stripers, and flat head cats in my experience.

They do not live long. I use a bait cooler with an aerator. But you put more than -15-20 in a 35quart cooler and they die quickly. I've never used them in cooler weather though. I usually only use them during the summer dog days when most fishing is slow.
I think you are right. Some kind of shiner. No idea which kind but google images seems to agree that you're in the right family at least.

Latest posts