Bad genetics or some other cause?

Southern Sportsman

I've gotten several pictures of these deer, one of them has a decent right side and poor left, the other has a decent left side and no right that I can see. Neither deer is very old, but is this a genetic trait we should try to eliminate? Thanks for suggestions.
MDGC0447.jpg

CDY_0256.jpg

CDY_0049.jpg

CDY_0102.jpg

CDY_0100.jpg

Bucket

I'm no biologist, but the antler traits you are seeing are most likely caused by injuries and not genetics. Furthermore, antler genetics aren't as simple as 8pt father produces 8 pt sons. It has possibly more to do with the does than bucks, so killing a deer b/c of bad "genetics" is certainly not something I would practice. These bucks could very well have normal (and bigger) antlers next year.

BSK

One antler highly malformed is almost always injury-induced rather than genetic (deer do not have one set of genetic codes for their right antler and another for their left antler--just codes for "antlers"). That type of malformation could be caused by a body injury, or more likely, an injury to the antler pedicle.

Southern Sportsman

Thank you very much, that was what I was wondering. Maybe in a couple of years, I can kill them both and put them together to make one great rack.

Latest posts