Bad choke

tasaman

Well guys I was getting my gun ready for doing some patterning with a "new to me" SSX choke I bought off ebay. Was purchased in summer of last year. I went to screw it in and it stopped about 1/4 inch before being flush. Hmmm? Well turns out the doggone thing is swelled. Right before the threads. I contacted the seller and they are going to refund my money but dang. I was really looking forward to trying this out.

So here is what I am pondering. What load did this person shoot that ruined the choke? Is anything I am going to shoot do this to my gun? I've heard of it happening and have seen one Benelli SBEII with a bulged barrel right before the choke. I do not want to do this to my gun. The replacement barrel for my gun is about $400.

Grizzly Johnson

Well you probably don't want to shoot large (#4, #5) HD shot through a super-tight choke, especially one that isn't rated for it.... Could be what happened to that one....

booth

Had the same thing happen to a SSX I shot out of my super nova. I shot win XR and hevi 13 out of it. I am just thankful it didn't harm the barrel. I would have not been a happy camper. IMO they are junk and will be letting truglo know.

deerhunter10

I have seen it happen before. usually happens to people duck hunting. it actually happened to my stoeger on a choke I bought for duck hunting it was a cheap choke luckily didn't hurt my gun.

tasaman

I already have Kick's 665 and a Jellyhead. Both do ok I'm just looking for more even pattern. SSX gets good reviews on OG and thought I would try it. Oh well I'll stick to what I got probably. Just glad I got my money back.

Latest posts