attn: shotgun reloaders

shanel

I've been wanting to start reloading for a few years,i think i'll start out with shotguns since i have a 8 year old boy that that flat walks through 20 ga. shells,tell me where to start.mec 600 jr.?or whats the best place to start?

Tiny

Haven't loaded shotshells in several years,and the Mec's were good loaders BTW.

A friend and a several people I've ran into in gunshop counter talk who are into it ,have told me they can buy'em cheaper than loading'em.I can't say I agree with that but I'ant set down and checked things out either. Of coarse one needs to factor in the time well spent and the fun factors esp with there kids.

Just a thought.

Have a blasting good time either way.

Chaneylake

mec 600 jr is best way to start. check on your loading supplies before you get into reloading. late summer of 07 shot was selling for $44.00 a bag plus tax at gander mtn. in jackson tn.
have never loaded steel shot or any of the lead alternatives. usually your best savings will be on smaller guage shells 410 or 28 ga. or you heavy lead hunting loads.

.45 COLT

MEC 600jr. is a good press, but for a few bucks more you can get a MEC Sizemaster, a better press. The Sizemaster uses a collet for resizing, a better system than the jr's sizing die. The Sizemaster also comes with a primer feed. The feed is available for the jr, but it costs extra.

Shot is expensive right now, but the price of lead is coming down, so shot prices should follow. Factory shell prices have taken a big jump lately, so reloading makes sense again.

DC

Darkthirty II

I have always wanted to reload my own shells, but I have friends that are competitive skeet and sporting clays shooters. The skeet shooters reload but the sporting clay shooters buy their own. 10 guys go in and buy a pallet of AA's every six months. They have all told me that in order to see savings at reloading, you have to shoot A LOT. Thousands of rounds a month. Theres no way for the average shooter to justify reloading just from a financial view point.
If your looking for quality time with the family, then it would be worth it.

Latest posts