Food Plots Assistance

Livin2hunt

I need some advice on what to do. I have a clover field that I planted last fall that I haven't done a thing to yet this spring. It has a mixture of balansa, berseem, crimson and I think some ladino in it along with some winter wheat. This is what was left out of the smorgasbord mix from fall. It is currently about maybe 5 to 8 inches or so tall. Really not to bad with weeds but there are some here and there. Should I just spray it and let it go to seed or should I still cut it and spray? I'm normally just a fall brassica planter only so the clover thing is really new to me. Thanks!
1000004239.jpg

1000004238.jpg

JCDEERMAN

It looks just fine to me. You want some wheat in there for "structure" and a little shade throughout summer. A few weeds here and there aren't bad. When clover needs to be sprayed, Clethodim controls grassy weeds and butyrac controls broadleaf weeds. We typically spray in spring, when needed, and bushhog high in fall, when needed.

Patrick H

It looks great! If you have not done a soil sample you might consider doing one to see if it needs lime and/or fertilizer. With proper care and over seeding (frost seeding or over seeding in March ideally before a rain) it should last years.

Livin2hunt

It looks great! If you have not done a soil sample you might consider doing one to see if it needs lime and/or fertilizer. With proper care and over seeding (frost seeding or over seeding in March ideally before a rain) it should last years.
I frost seeded some clover in mid March(even though wasnt much frost by then)and spread 150# of 6-15-15 2 weeks ago. It rained the ext day luckily. I soil tested also in the fall and said i needed 2 ton of lime. I put a ton of bagged lime on it in the fall and I definitely know I need another ton of lime spread here soon. Probably right after turkey is over. That field was basically done with a 4wheeler. An atv sprayer and a drag harrow and my back. The day I spread the clover I had a few helpers picking rocks that surfaced from my dragging. They were some workers I tell ya!
1000004141.jpg

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I need some advice on what to do. I have a clover field that I planted last fall that I haven't done a thing to yet this spring. It has a mixture of balansa, berseem, crimson and I think some ladino in it along with some winter wheat. This is what was left out of the smorgasbord mix from fall. It is currently about maybe 5 to 8 inches or so tall. Really not to bad with weeds but there are some here and there. Should I just spray it and let it go to seed or should I still cut it and spray? I'm normally just a fall brassica planter only so the clover thing is really new to me. Thanks!
View attachment 223557

View attachment 223558
Looking great. pull your soil samples and handle that. Get ready for warm season, thats when your problem weeds show up if you have them. maybe mow when needed but for now congrats on a great clover plot!

Latest posts