Artifact or paperweight

GOHUNT

Came from along Nolichuckey River in Greene Co. The tapered end is chipped off a little like you might expect on a pounding tool. The profile of it from the big end is a half-round shape and being very flat on the one side. It sure is nicely shaped to just be a rock. It's exactly 4" long.

Attachments

• IMG_9815.jpeg
    IMG_9815.jpeg
    203.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_9814.jpeg
    IMG_9814.jpeg
    223.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_9821.jpeg
    IMG_9821.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_9802.jpeg
    IMG_9802.jpeg
    304.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_9813.jpeg
    IMG_9813.jpeg
    195.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_9818.jpeg
    IMG_9818.jpeg
    300 KB · Views: 55

Omega

That is a nice looking rock, I would have picked it up and I'm not a collector. I don't know why but I have a habit of picking up rocks that interest me, sometimes I toss them back sometimes I hang on to them. I picked up a couple that had a hole, natural I think, going through it. I also acquired some petrified wood in Egypt, it littered the desert out there; I was looking for bullets from WWII when I came upon them. If I remember I'll get some pics.

Creek

It has the resemblance of a celt that wasnt finished imo. I would keep it either way, but if you found it in an area where other known artifacts have been found, then the odds obviously increase. It can be difficult to tell when found out of context. Maybe some of the experts will chime in. Cool looking material just the same. Another option is to visit a local artifact show and ask around. Most everyone is friendly and can lead you in the right direction. Happy Trails.

XCR-2

I'm gonna say it's a pre form for something. It's hard to say for what, possible bannerstone, Celt, gorget etc. Usually celts were longer than that especially in preform context. I would have brought it home and threw it next to my rock tree.

rifle02

Looks like an old stale banana bread to me. Sorry couldn't resist that poor attempt at humor.
I have an interesting rock that I am going to ask about on here one day. My wife and I call it the potato Rock. Looks like a very large baking potato.

Creek

Looks like an old stale banana bread to me. Sorry couldn't resist that poor attempt at humor.
I have an interesting rock that I am going to ask about on here one day. My wife and I call it the potato Rock. Looks like a very large baking potato.
Sounds great! Take some clear daylight pics if possible and start a thread. Looking forward to it.

Latest posts