Arrow speed?

UTGrad

Is there a minimum thresh hold for arrow speed on whitetail deer? I am looking at a Parker Legend XP that is 30" axle to axle, lightweight, but has an AMO speed of 224 fps. The bow felt really good at 50#, but of course any bit of searching online I find people touting arrow speed. Also, is the short axle to axle on this bow an issue for a novice?

bobthebowhunter

That should be fine. A slower bow is good for a beginner. You won't have any problems killing deer at that speed.

Alot of people get wrapped up in the speed of their bow, but it is not the most important factor. When hunting I prefer a heavier arrow and a slower bow.

Radar

I wouldn't be too concerned about what your speed is right now . Arrow weight and draw weight can be changed to improve speed , if that is your goal . But being a first time bowhunter , I'd recommend keeping your shots less than 25 yards , so speed isn't much of a factor in judging yardage .
You will gain a little more KE by eventually increasing your draw weight if desired . The main thing is to shoot a bow that is comfortable for you to shoot at the correct draw weight and draw length .

pjridge

I agree with Radar. I will add, if you feel comfortable with 50# on the Parker right now, you might want to get one that peaks at 60#. Although a 50# compound is plenty for whitetail, if you shoot much in the off season you will build up pretty fast and might want to up the poundage later as long as you feel comfortable.. Just something to think about.

UTGrad

pjridge said:
I agree with Radar. I will add, if you feel comfortable with 50# on the Parker right now, you might want to get one that peaks at 60#. Although a 50# compound is plenty for whitetail, if you shoot much in the off season you will build up pretty fast and might want to up the poundage later as long as you feel comfortable.. Just something to think about.

I was looking at a 50-60# and have it set at 50# for that reason.

pjridge

UTGrad said:
pjridge said:

I was looking at a 50-60# and have it set at 50# for that reason.

I figured that was the case. Good luck and above all, enjoy!

Radar

A forgiving bow can be better for a beginner , but arrow speeds can be increased to allow some error judging yardage , that can be beneficial to a beginner . An increase in arrow speed can be accomplished without sacrificing forgiveness of the bow .

richmanbarbeque

Radar said:
A forgiving bow can be better for a beginner , but arrow speeds can be increased to allow some error judging yardage , that can be beneficial to a beginner . An increase in arrow speed can be accomplished without sacrificing forgiveness of the bow .

Exactly.

Latest posts