• Help Support TNDeer:

Arrow and broad head for CO. Elk hunt

DMAG

I shoot a 70 lb insanity with a 28.5 dl. I currently shoot CE blue streak 350s with rage broad heads, but I am not going to risk this hunt with a mechanical head and light arrow. So what would you guys suggest?

My elk arrow is a gold tip with a 100 grain brass insert and tipped with 4 blade Magnus Stingers. 500 grains total. Maybe overkill, but I don't shoot high poundage bows.

DSCN7404.jpg

I'd reccomend a fixed blade head over mechanical, preferably cut on contact. The arrow bh combo I use is muzzy phantom 125 on maxima 350KV shafts around 425 gr. The main thing shot placement with a razor sharp broadhead.

Slick Trick or Hell Razors or something like that. My bull in CO two years took a Hellrazor at 8 yards broadside and my arrow stuck in a tree. Complete exit and I shot only 67 lbs with a medium draw. Another guy in a camp took an angled shot with a mechanical and did not get enough penetration. As far as I know they never found that bull.

Been using 125 gr slicktrick mags eversince they came out . Never have had a problem . Soon as this spring weather gets warmer I'm going to try the slicktrick , viper trick , like the looks ,kinda reminded me of the old old bears with razor insert. If they fly good I'll use them in NM in Sept. Almost forgot , this old white elephant is still shooting 2212 easton aluminum.I will not chance a shot over 50 yd and hope it will be 20 !

I've seen slick tricks do the job. I lost one using 1 3/8" grim reaper (but it was most likely due to shot placement).

The guys at Grim Reaper and Slick Trick both told me to go small cutting diameter for deeper penetration on large game like elk. Even the Rage crew recommended their crossbow broadhead for elk.

Small cutting diameter = deeper penetration.

I am going back with Slick Tricks most likely.

A heavier arrow and fixed head has always been my choice for Elk as well. Last time I went my arrow and head weighed almost 500 grns.

Latest posts

Back