Food Plots Army Worms!

JhnDeereMan

2-Step Enabled
I live in southern Montgomery and saw both the Co-op sprayer and Nutrien Sprayer going down the road today within 20 minutes of each other. I figured they were spraying for army worms.

I haven't seen any myself but it is prime time.

JCDEERMAN

No!!! You just had to mention them. I've never heard of them until last year when they devastated our plots. Why the uprising of them all of a sudden?

DoubleRidge

Last year I remember different ones talking about what the army worms ate verses what they didn't eat. Curious....where does cereal rye and barasicas fall on the list?

DoubleRidge

Cereal rye, #1 on the list.

I was afraid you were going to say that....Hadn't planted yet but plan to purchase the seed next week.....I've read that some will plant their barasicas first...giving them a head start....then coming back and top sowing cereal rye to layer or fill in.....with the threat of army worms this may be an option.

tellico4x4

Last year I remember different ones talking about what the army worms ate verses what they didn't eat. Curious....where does cereal rye and barasicas fall on the list?
Whacked our rye & wheat last year, didn't touch the brassica or clover. My lawn is a blend of St Augustine & Bermuda, ate the Bermuda but not the St Augustine

JCDEERMAN

In the same field I had a dividing line - no other reason other than a road that split them and one side needed more leveling from logging by the dozer at the time of the first initial planting. One side was wheat and rape / the other side cereal rye and crimson clover. They didn't touch the wheat and rape, while the rye and clover was eaten to the ground.

BSK

In the same field I had a dividing line - no other reason other than a road that split them and one side needed more leveling from logging by the dozer at the time of the first initial planting. One side was wheat and rape / the other side cereal rye and crimson clover. They didn't touch the wheat and rape, while the rye and clover was eaten to the ground.
Strange, they didn't touch my crimson clover, but they ate my cereal grains out of existence.

TNTreeman

I've had less problems from oats and rye than anything else. Wheat always germinates but doesn't stick around as well as the other two . They seem to hit Oates and brassicas best at my place.

megalomaniac

At least down here, we've had WAY more days with a southerly wind flow than normal... which doesn't bode well when it comes to army worms infestations. Not sure about middle TN.

Deer 1

Guess this is a army worms? If so my corn started taking a big hit this week. Sprayed it today since the rains stopped for awhile

Attachments

• 20220810_163422.jpg
    20220810_163422.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 20220810_163509.jpg
    20220810_163509.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 41

JCDEERMAN

I've been planting food plots for over 25 years and never heard of army worms until last year when they wiped us out. 2 years in a row and I just won't know what to say. These bastards can go where the sun don't shine

Latest posts