AR question?

ratsnakeboogy

Ok, I'm ignorant when it comes to Military rifles.

I have a Bushmaster with ACE(?) stock, I want to put an adjustable Magpul CTE stock.

They sell two different sizes, Military and Civilian. As I read, I assume this is buffer tube diameter, but I don't even know what a buffer tube is, or if the ACE even has one.

I'm trying to get it where my son can shoot it, and the stock is too long. I can do about anything to a hunting rifle, but am just starting to learn the AR. I've had it for 8 months and it's never left the case.

Any help would be appreciated.

Don

infoman jr.

Hey Don,
I think what you probably mean is Magpul CTR stock, but this is an easy fix. What you have is a full length buffer tube. You will find two options for the CTR stock, a commercial and mil-spec. The CTR uses a carbine-length buffer tube. You'll find some weirdos that swear by mil-spec parts, but I wouldn't sweat the difference. Just make sure that your buffer tube and stock match.

paincave_2000

The diameter of the milspec buffer tube is 1.14", they are made from 7075 forged aluminum. The commercial buffer tube diameter is 1.17", made from 6061 extruded aluminum, with the commercial version often being longer and slanted in the rear.

Mossy Oak

Screenshot2012-03-08at81330AM.png

ratsnakeboogy

Thanks jr.

So I just need to pull this stock off, measure diameter to see what I have?

This stock is fixed.

Do I need to buy a "carbine length" tube if mine is not carbine length?

Thanks,

Don

Jksig229

if you have a fixed stock you most likely have a rifle length buffer tube so just get a carbine length... but apparently make sure you get the right carbine one i didnt know there two

ratsnakeboogy

Jksig229 said:
if you have a fixed stock you most likely have a rifle length buffer tube so just get a carbine length... but apparently make sure you get the right carbine one i didnt know there two

Ok, I can do that. What is included in a buffer tube, does it have a different spring and other parts?

infoman jr.

ratsnakeboogy said:
Jksig229 said:

Ok, I can do that. What is included in a buffer tube, does it have a different spring and other parts?

They can be bought as a kit which includes the appropriate stock, tube, buffer, spring, castle nut, and plate. I would recommend this route.

Latest posts