Anyone that duck hunts

RxHunter

Thanks. All well and good but I assure you no surveys, petitions or social media posts will have much, if any, influence. Nothing works better than sitting down with a Commissioner and having a face-to-face conversation. Not going into details here, but I talked to a Commissioner this week and mentioned one particular aspect of new draw system that I questioned, or didn't like. He then explained the reason why they did what they did. I admittedly, saw the point. It made me look at the situation in a different light. Trust me... I still have questions and things I'm not crazy about. But a direct, rational conversation with the folks casting the votes is absolutely the best way to learn, and to share your specific concerns.
Could you share what you didn't like and what their response was on why they did it the way they did.

rsimms

Could you share what you didn't like and what their response was on why they did it the way they did.
I complained that I believed blind-hopping should be allowed. He explained that Commissioners felt that hunters who drew a 7-day blind deserved the opportunity to let their spot "rest" a day or two within that 7-day period, without being hunted, if they so wished. I agreed that was reasonable, within a 7-day hunt period. I'm 67 years old. It's tough on me to hunt three, or even two days in a row ;) .... much less seven days in a row.

I shared, however, that in my opinion folks who applied/drew for the 3- and 4-day blinds should adjust their work schedules or whatever and hunt the blinds they draw... OR others should be allowed to "hop" them. He didn't necessarily disagree with that.

He said TWRA staffers are supposed to be keeping precise data that will show how many "hunting days" were available among the Tier 2 blinds.... and exactly how many days they actually got hunted.

I do hope they are, indeed, doing that (accurately). If they are depending solely upon the hunters' post-season surveys, I question how accurate they will be. Will hunters who drew a Tier 2 blind admit that they didn't hunt any (or all) days?

Regardless, I will look forward to seeing the results.

Latest posts