anybody do any metal detecting

rem270

been thinking about purchasing one of these dont want to spend alot somewhere around 300 or less.
our farm we have has an old house and some old sheds behind it i figured would probably have some neat stuff down in the ground.
troops also came through there during the civil war so there are probably some interesting artifacts around there.

thanks for the help

Chaneylake

rem270 said:
been thinking about purchasing one of these dont want to spend alot somewhere around 300 or less.
our farm we have has an old house and some old sheds behind it i figured would probably have some neat stuff down in the ground.
troops also came through there during the civil war so there are probably some interesting artifacts around there.

thanks for the help

metal detectors work well on indian mounds in my area, my best find so far is a 1876 Carson City dime, as the indians moved away many tenant farmers build homes on the old indian sites, thus the coins being found

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
There are alot of inexpensive metal detectors out there that work very well. Just like many things the technolgy keeps changing . The Serious diggers always have to have the newest and greatest detectors.A dectector that sold for $500 five years ago might sell for $200 in like new condition this year. It will work fine for a guy that just wants to try out the hobby.Like gun owners someguys get stuck on certain brands.A digital Garrett,Bounty HUnter,or Fisher will find bullets,old coins,ect.The digital ones have preset programs that make them turn on and go.With experence you can make custom programs to suit your needs.

Crow Terminator

Do a search on this forum for my post called "a relic hunting primer".

It has everything you could possibly need to know about looking into the hobby.

I got a Fisher F-75. People hate me when I hunt with them :) I have gone behind them many times and pulled out things they simply walked over. I've hunted several times and brought home 30+ minie balls to their 2 or 3 a piece. It's all machine in cases like that.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Here is a link to a club in your area.There are links to different Manufacters sites. You can read alittle and learn about different models.
http://www.memphistreasure.com/
http://www.blogcatalog.com/blogs/memphi ... -club.html

A very good chance someone there has a good used one for sale.Ask on thier Blog most detector guys are very helpfull like hunters. Just don't ask where thier good spots are.
Alot of times a shop that sales detectors will take a used one in as a trade in just like a car when someone wants to upgrade.
Also check the Pawn shops sometimes you can find a Real good deal there also.

Latest posts