Any idea on age???

MDBriggs

Easily the oldest deer Ive ever killed. The only way I can describe this guy was like a horse, his neck and body were just unreal. I was wondering if he could possibly be so old his rack was beginning to "go the other way." I plan on getting his jaw bones aged by the wildlife professors here at UT Martin, but I was wondering what yall thought.

Andy S.

Based on the trailcam pics, I'd guess 4.5. Post up the jawbone pics on here and we'll provide feedback. Top view and side view pics are a must, and with very good detail and clarity. Congrats on a fine buck you got there.

MDBriggs

Andy S. said:
Based on the trailcam pics, I'd guess 4.5. Post up the jawbone pics on here and we'll provide feedback. Top view and side view pics are a must, and with very good detail and clarity. Congrats on a fine buck you got there.
I agree with you on the picture issue, unfortunately these were the only pictures I managed to get of him before I harvested him. Also it will be a while before I can get the jawbones because I am going to have to wait till summer to take him to the taxidermist. I have to wait till schools out and I can afford to mount him

nick2720

MDBriggs said:
Andy S. said:
I agree with you on the picture issue, unfortunately these were the only pictures I managed to get of him before I harvested him. Also it will be a while before I can get the jawbones because I am going to have to wait till summer to take him to the taxidermist. I have to wait till schools out and I can afford to mount him

If your planing on getting it mounted you might want to go ahead and drop it off. the ears will be freezer burned by then and hard as heck to take hide off skull. some good taxidermist won't do deer that have been set up like that cause they don't look good. Wilkerson has 2 of my deer he only charges 100 dollar deposit. call around other people might charge just small deposits up front. it will be worth it in the end

Harvester

You could cut the horns off and get another cape from a different deer next year. Most processsors could get you one. Just an idea. Great buck, congrats.

nick2720

harvester said:
You could cut the horns off and get another cape from a different deer next year. Most processsors could get you one. Just an idea. Great buck, congrats.

only concern I would have is finding the cape that is the same size as this one. generally if its that big of a feet its a good one people get mounted. and also be kinda limited to find one just given away that's that big. I don't think it would be easy to find but it is another option with a risk

Southern Sportsman

If i were you i would take him to Buddy Steed in Humboldt as soon as you can get $100 for the deposit and you'll have several months to save up the other $250. Make a good Christmas present from somebody

Nealmeally

I'd say he's a 4.5 year old.

Congrats! When I see neck and body that size, I'm looking for an opening. Nice buck.

MDBriggs

Southern Sportsman said:
If i were you i would take him to Buddy Steed in Humboldt as soon as you can get $100 for the deposit and you'll have several months to save up the other $250. Make a good Christmas present from somebody
Would have been a great Christmas present the only problem is I used the same excuse on the 4.5 yr old 9pt i killed bow season... I guess if being successful is my worst problem Im a blessed man haha

Latest posts