another sonar question

TNReb

Lake is Old Hickory. Water temp was 73 with these images.

This is a creek channel, a little off the main river channel.

Out of curiosity, I stopped and threw a few different lures - spinner bait, swim baits, deep crankbait, and a carolina rig. I caught one small bass on the carolina rig, but nothing else.

Any thoughts on what sort of fish I may be looking at? Do the size of the arcs on the sonar tell me anything about what kind of fish these are likely to be? (the fish on the bottom vs the ones suspended)

Any tips on improving the side imaging? I feel like I just can't see fish in the water column as easily on these Lowrance units as I could on my Humminbirds. If I bump up the contrast, it helps a little, but not without blowing out everything else. I've tried other color palettes, but they're not much help.

hoCiYtK.jpg

UmFOtT8.jpg

TR5Ukum.jpg

3guPMPr.jpg

WTM

bluegill and bass hug creek bottoms like that and when i fish for big bluegill in the fall that is basically where and what i look for. those look more like bass, the way they are spread out. big bluegill will hang out with bass under bait schools too.

returns look descent. that fish reveal would piss me off though, it just clutters the DI too much. looks like surface noise/clutter could be cleaned up on the DI. i always crank my contrast up and adjust brightness when looking for fish. it does wash out the image some but i dont care about detail much. the higher the frequency, the harder it is to adjust for fish returns. when looking for fish i run at 455khz.

one thing i did notice in the 2d was it looks like your xducer needs leveling because the arch tails are uneven. id check my si/di xducer too if you are using duals. if you have some bridge pilons on that lake you can check you SI ducer for level. scan them and they and the shadow should look straight. if they look curved or leaning like the tower of pizza, then your ducer needs leveling. check out this video and you can level them in one trip to the lake.

https://youtu.be/fw_AGEjzR-4

TNReb

Thanks WTM. Someone on BBCBoards mentioned the arcs also. I adjusted the transducer today and they look better.

Appreciate the feedback.

Latest posts