Another reload question

TRIGGER

I acquired a few hundred 223 rounds that are reloads. Everything I have ever read says do not trust anyone's reloads so I would like to pull the bullets and start over but am not sure how to go about it. Pulling the bullet and disposing of the powder is obvious but what next? Can I press the live primers out? If so are they re-usable for plinking rounds?

Hunter 257W

I think you are wise to pull the bullets and dump the powder as you never know about the safety of somebody else s reloading practices. I would use the primers however. I just wouldn't trust them to hunt with where a misfire could cost you a deer. Back in my early days of reloading I had a couple of misfires from priming with oil on my hands. Odds are against that happening with any given primer but if it did happen on a nice buck, you'd kick yourself for years for taking the chance. Again, with primers being as expensive as they are plus availability being what it is, I'd use the primers for practice rounds. Obviously you can reuse the bullets once you figure out what they are and the weight.

TRIGGER

Hunter 257W":3cy5lw38 said:
I think you are wise to pull the bullets and dump the powder as you never know about the safety of somebody else s reloading practices. I would use the primers however. I just wouldn't trust them to hunt with where a misfire could cost you a deer. Back in my early days of reloading I had a couple of misfires from priming with oil on my hands. Odds are against that happening with any given primer but if it did happen on a nice buck, you'd kick yourself for years for taking the chance. Again, with primers being as expensive as they are plus availability being what it is, I'd use the primers for practice rounds. Obviously you can reuse the bullets once you figure out what they are and the weight.

No way I would ever trust something like this for a hunting round. I would put all of these in a separate container and mark them so there would be no chance they would end up in my gun for anything but shooting at targets of the non bleeding type lol.
So just pull the bullet, dump the powder,weigh the bullets and reload accordingly?

If you guys haven't figured it out yet yall are my mentors and I appreciate it.

KPH

Pull the bullets dump the powder in flower bed ( great fertilizer ) leave primers in cases reload with known load and shoot.

vixty

IT all depends if you know the person that gave you the bullets. I know a couple guys that reload that I would trust if I were to get some ammo from them. Now if its just some joe, I wouldn't shoot them.

Tiny

May pay to resize them after pulling. Remove the decapping pin from sizer die. Found close to 40 308 @ Range awhile back thats what I will do if I ever get around to it.

Latest posts