Another Question on Posting Property

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOCON4TN

Good morning- I have read information online about the "no hunting without permission ". I am unclear on how to properly post. I understand signs (with required language) at the points of entry. Is this in addition to a sign every 100 yards? Is there an additional requirement for high visibility paint every 50 yards? If so is there a specific color? What am I missing? Also, I assume I can place additional signs that simply state "no trespassing "?

Thank you

scn

Here is the statute that covers the signage and paint marking for the hunting by written permission only:

70-4-106. Permission of owner of land to take wildlife or big game required -- Penalty for violations.

(a) (1) It is unlawful for any person to hunt, take, chase, trap or kill any wild animal, wild bird, wild fowl or fish, upon the land of another without having first obtained the permission or approval of the owners of the land, or of the person or persons in charge of the land and having authority from the owner to give such permission.

(2) A violation of this subsection (a) is a Class C misdemeanor. Upon conviction for any violation of this subsection (a), the court may revoke the license of the person so convicted. Any license so revoked shall be surrendered to the court and transmitted to the arresting officer, to be made a part of the prosecution record.

(b) (1) (A) Notwithstanding subsection (a), it is unlawful for any person to hunt, take, chase, trap or kill any game as defined in § 70-1-101 upon lands posted with signs approved by the wildlife resources agency bearing the language "Hunting By Written Permission Only" and bearing the name of the landowner or the person in possession or control of such lands, without having first obtained the written permission of or being accompanied by the landowner or the person in possession or control of such lands and having authority from the owner to give such permission. Every person who hunts, takes, chases, traps or kills any game on such lands shall have such written permission in immediate possession at all times and shall display the same upon demand of an officer of the wildlife resources agency, sheriff or other peace officer charged with the enforcement of the laws of this state. Written permission shall not be required of the landowner, the landowner's dependents, the person in possession or control of such lands, or the dependents of the person in possession or control of such lands.

(B) The signs posted pursuant to this subsection (b) must be posted by either of the following methods:

(i) The signs must be visible at all major points of ingress of the lands being posted, in such manner that the signs are reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders; or

(ii) The signs must be visible at all major points of ingress and must be accompanied by fluorescent visual markings, which markings must also be placed at fifty-yard (50 yd) intervals around the perimeter of the lands being posted. Such fluorescent visual markings must be at least one inch (1") wide and four inches (4") long. The division of forestry, in cooperation with the department of agriculture and the wildlife resources agency, shall determine a unique universal paint color or colors, including the color blue, to be used for these property boundary markings.

(C) Any person who posts signs pursuant to this subsection (b) without authorization from the landowner is subject to the penalties imposed by subdivision (b)(2).

(2) (A) A violation of this subsection (b) is a Class C misdemeanor. Upon conviction for any violation of this subsection (b), the court may revoke the license of the person convicted. Any license so revoked shall be surrendered to the court.

(B) This subsection (b) is enforceable and may be prosecuted by all officers of the wildlife resources agency, sheriffs and other peace officers charged with the enforcement of the laws of this state.

(C) An affidavit from the landowner or the person in possession or control of such lands stating that the property on which the violation occurred was properly posted in accordance with this section shall create an inference that such lands were properly posted.

HISTORY: Acts 1951, ch. 115, § 51 (Williams, § 5178.80); T.C.A. (orig. ed.), § 51-407; Acts 1988, ch. 542, §§ 1, 2; 1989, ch. 569, §§ 1, 2; 1989, ch. 591, § 113; 1995, ch. 145, § 1; 2004, ch. 748, § 1; 2010, ch. 1143, § 1.

This law was passed as a joint effort by the Tenn. Farm Bureau, the TN Conservation League, and TWRA as an attempt to keep a landowner from having to go to court to prosecute a hunting without permission case. Unfortunately, there are some loopholes in the law that have been exploited by defense lawyers that have made that goal almost impossible. The landowner is still having to come to court to prosecute.

IMO, posting property under this law gives no advantage over using other signage against trespass. If you have any questions, I would suggest you contact your regional law enforcement group to get their input on what combination of signage is working best for convictions in your local court system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts