Another Pubic Deer Jaw Bone Age

A/M/G

I am a public ground hunter. Over the course of the next few weeks, I will be posting numerous deer jawbones that I have killed. I would like to have all of them age by someone other than me.

Attachments

• IMG_2804.jpeg
    IMG_2804.jpeg
    349.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2805.jpeg
    IMG_2805.jpeg
    356.3 KB · Views: 50

Ski

Anybody have a 4.5yr old and 2.5yr old jawbone they would be kind enough to show for comparison? I feel like an idiot because I can't seem to see what everyone else is seeing that indicates age.

Andy S.

Ski,

These two links from Indiana are great reference material. After looking at hundreds of jawbones from a certain locale, it becomes somewhat of an art. To make the best guess, I like to have both clean jawbones, preferably in my hand. Also, after 2.5, tooth replacement and wear method (TR&W) typically guarantees a "minimal age", thus why you sometimes see a "+" after most age guesses that are 3.5 and older, indicating the deer is likely that age as a minimum, but could be older. As with most things in life, there are always exceptions to the rule (of thumb).

IN Deer TRW Method Aging Info

Field Guide to Aging Deer

Ski

Ski,

These two links from Indiana are great reference material. After looking at hundreds of jawbones from a certain locale, it becomes somewhat of an art. To make the best guess, I like to have both clean jawbones, preferably in my hand. Also, after 2.5, tooth replacement and wear method (TR&W) typically guarantees a "minimal age", thus why you sometimes see a "+" after most age guesses that are 3.5 and older, indicating the deer is likely that age as a minimum, but could be older. As with most things in life, there are always exceptions to the rule (of thumb).

IN Deer TRW Method Aging Info

Field Guide to Aging Deer
[/QUOfamily?

Thank you!

megalomaniac

Anybody have a 4.5yr old and 2.5yr old jawbone they would be kind enough to show for comparison? I feel like an idiot because I can't seem to see what everyone else is seeing that indicates age.
Pretty classic for a 2.5yo

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230830_093053_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230830_093053_Gallery.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 20

megalomaniac

4.5yo

Don't just look at the molars like most classic instructions for aging deer... pay attention to wear on 3rd premolar as well

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230830_093009_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230830_093009_Gallery.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 23

Latest posts