Another ATV issue

Mescalero

I didn't want to hijack Pals thread, but I've got a similar issue with my 2012 Polaris Sportsman 500.

Had to put my ATV into a storage unit last September as I was going through my divorce, and its now in my apartment garage. I tried to run it weekly and all was fine for several months. The battery then went dead and I would use a Battery Tender to jump it to start and that worked fine for a while just so I could drive the ATV around some. Earlier this Summer it started running rough. Finally put a new battery in last weekend, and its stalling all the time. Keeps stalling when I put it into gear. Occasional pop as I give it gas. Not a backfire. Won't keep running. Stalls. I start it up but have to use the choke most times. Runs good for a minute, maybe less and then will ultimately stall unless I'm giving it the gas. Replaced the carb last year. Last night I sprayed some carb cleaner into the carb (took off the air filter and tube into the carb and sprayed the carb cleaner into it that way). Sorry, I'm no gear head. Started it up, but same stalling, rough running.

Any thoughts on what I could do? I was thinking about pouring Sea Foam into the gas tank to see if that helps, but I've a feeling this is maybe fuel filter, fuel line, carb needs cleaned properly?

Mescalero

It's got relatively new gas (month old +/-), but it has ethanol in it and almost a full tank. When I had the carb replaced June 2020, it got the full carb clean service, replaced all filters, etc. and got a new spark plug. The problem started when the battery finally gave in and wouldn't keep any charge when I used my battery tender to jump it. That was probably a little less than a month ago or shortly after I put the new gas in. I'll get into the carb this weekend and spray it better. As I recall from over a year ago before I took it in for carb service (it was leaking fuel so I knew then the carb was the problem), I could only get the upper housing of the carb off. I couldn't get the lower off. Hopefully, I can spray the carb enough inside with Gunk that it takes care of the problem.

Thanks!

Mescalero

Dump the ethanol, rebuild (or at least drain) the carb, fill with non-ethanol gas and add Seafoam to the gas. If it's still finicky you'll need the carb rebuilt or at least disassembled and cleaned.
How do I drain the tank? I can't find any valve or screw, etc. I think I found a tube that appears to run from the tank to the carb but not sure. Owners manual is no help. Do I have to syphon it out?

Mescalero

Went to Advance Auto and got a siphon and that worked well for the gas tank. Draining the carb and cleaning it are probably beyond my knowledge and tools.

FYI. For those in Wilco, the AA guys told me there's a Marathon on Rt 31 in Franklin that sells real gas. Going to get some high octane, put a little in the ATV with some Sea Foam and see what happens.

Wiley

The pic below should be the same or very similar to your carb. However, the carb in the picture is UPSIDE DOWN. This view is of the bottom of the carb bowl. If your carb has a similar 'bolt head' protruding from the very bottom you can unscrew that and all the gas in the bowl can be dumped from it and then wipe the crud out of the bowl. This is either a drain plug or the entire bowl unscrews and comes off. DO NOT reach up into the open bottom of the carb to clean with anything ........ fingers, Q-Tip.....NOTHING. Be careful as there is an O ring around the top of the threads but it may remain up in its recess in the bottom of the carb. If you remove the O ring or if it falls out just gently wipe it and replace it in it's place on top of the piece that unscrewed. A coating of grease, even Vaseline, will be good for it before replacing it on the bowl. Spraying carb cleaner up inside the bottom of the carb is the last/best thing you can do in this situation.
Short of rebuilding the carb, this is the best you can physically do.

carb.jpg

Latest posts