Ames question

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I haven't seen any threads about Ames this year. How's the hunting been? CWD having any major negative effects? Fewer "mature" deer? I'm just curious is all.

duckduck84

Can't speak for Ames directly, but our property is literally across the highway from it. Have heard a few shots that direction every weekend we've been out, but not as many as normal. Deer sightings are down for us overall, but not really sure it is CWD related.

Bucks & Beards

I did hear where they canceled restrictions due to CWD, but I'll let someone from Ames verify.
Yes re restrictions being cancelled due to CWD. It's also "earn a buck" this year. Members are required to kill a doe before harvesting the first two bucks. I'm not sure the count at the moment but generally more 2.5 and 3.5 yr olds are being killed this year. I killed a 129 1/8th inch buck Monday. Probably 4.5. Haven't aged him yet. A great buck was killed yesterday. I think it was in the 140s.

fairchaser

Where's Fairchaser ? Hadn't been him post in a few days , hoping nothing is wrong . Anyone know how to contact him ? Seems to be a good guy . He hunts @ Ames .
Thanks for asking Snake. I'm doing well. Just haven't been posting much. I've been hunting and working when I have to. I hope all have a safe and blessed Christmas.

fairchaser

A couple of observations so far this season. You can have several days where you can't see a deer. If you do see anything it's likely going to be a small buck cruising. A doe is very hard to see. Between hunting pressure, buck pressure and CWD, they are just scarce. There are a few pockets of does here and there but once the hunters find them, they are quick to waylay a couple. Dr. H, finally told the membership not to kill more than two does. The hunters have been willing and able to kill bucks. Almost anything with a rack is fair game. We've killed a couple nice ones but the average is well below 120, the previous minimum. The membership can kill as many bucks as they have legal tags and they are taking full advantage of the opportunity. One has to wonder what that means for the future! There's always a few nice ones on film, but so far they have been as elusive to hunters as they have apparently been to CWD.

easy45

I hunt two farms around Ames. Your gonna hardly ever see a doe and it has nothing to do with cwd and everything with how Ames has been managed over the last decade. Ames has literally destroyed the deer herd in that area. They have continually over harvested does, literally every year since their club started. Yea we have managed to still kill some good bucks over that time but the overall quality of hunting has fallen off of a cliff. It's really sad to see what they have done.

fairchaser

I hunt two farms around Ames. Your gonna hardly ever see a doe and it has nothing to do with cwd and everything with how Ames has been managed over the last decade. Ames has literally destroyed the deer herd in that area. They have continually over harvested does, literally every year since their club started. Yea we have managed to still kill some good bucks over that time but the overall quality of hunting has fallen off of a cliff. It's really sad to see what they have done.
I agree there has been a lot of pressure to kill does. However, over the last 3 years, they have backed off due to lower numbers. In some ways, lower deer density is beneficial in controlling CWD. That's the goal now. If we are successful in getting the infection rate down, they may allow the herd to build back up slowly. But right now it's a bloodbath especially on bucks over 2.5. It's not the club it used to be and it's best days are probably gone but there's always a few good bucks to chase and that keeps most of us in the game.

easy45

I agree there has been a lot of pressure to kill does. However, over the last 3 years, they have backed off due to lower numbers. In some ways, lower deer density is beneficial in controlling CWD. That's the goal now. If we are successful in getting the infection rate down, they may allow the herd to build back up slowly. But right now it's a bloodbath especially on bucks over 2.5. It's not the club it used to be and it's best days are probably gone but there's always a few good bucks to chase and that keeps most of us in the game.
Y'all are gonna lose another big group of hunters this next season. I realize the goal now but the over harvest of does has been a major problem since the club started. It's done way more damage than cwd in that area and now members are shooting everything they see. Say what you want but the management has always been subpar. Someone is needed that not only has the biological background and the general common sense of how to keep an area productive. One of those qualities has always been lacking from there.

AlabamaSwamper

I don't get it, I just don't

first off if you hammer does for years then yes, you are going to see less deer. Goes for a lot of properties I know with no CWD.

second, the whole kill them all, we have CWD I just don't get. Other states have realized it's not the world is falling problem. Their herds are fine and growing. I don't get why the TWRA keeps preaching to kill them all. You ain't getting rid of it. Why decimate your deer herd attempting to do something every other state has failed at that has tried it.

i just don't get it. Sorry

fairchaser

Ames has always been about research. When experimenting, sometimes the outcome is negative. The management has been collaborative with other experts as well as input from the membership. They will always look to the future and be willing to make the sacrifices now. Rather than allow CWD to take over completely, they are willing to take the deer herd down to a minimum to see if it can come back to a healthier state. Before CWD, the goal was to keep the herd balanced with an older buck population. That strategy was starting to work wonderfully but CWD was starting to affect the herd too and nobody knew, even the state. There were a couple years where the two things overlapped and caused the herd to shrink. Now we are dealing with the disease and the only possible solution is to shrink the herd. The same strategy as the state. It's very painful for us deer hunters but there's nothing we can do.

Attachments

• 53901FE0-4D87-40D6-AE1F-DDF8C5175341.jpeg
    53901FE0-4D87-40D6-AE1F-DDF8C5175341.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 108

Tom Collins

He might have. He's not been in the club for a couple years. We hate to see
Have y'all found a lot of deadheads/dead deer from CWD?

fairchaser

Have y'all found a lot of deadheads/dead deer from CWD?
I found one yesterday which looked over a year old. It was a doe. I found a mature buck head during turkey season. That's all though. But if every member found 2 each, it would add up to a lot.

Attachments

• 8BE535A0-2DDC-4E72-824F-4FD32CDE93BE.jpeg
    8BE535A0-2DDC-4E72-824F-4FD32CDE93BE.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 137

Latest posts