Ames Plantation Deer Hunting

redgineer

I'm thinking about trying to join the deer hunting club at Ames Plantation for the 2021-2022 season. I've read up on the controversy about their management program, and I'm ok with it. I would to know a little more about things have been going recently CWD and Covid have both changed hunting significantly in recent years.

How has the herd at Ames been effected by CWD? I'm not interested in Ames for a trophy buck, but for adventure and filling my freezer. I think they would be happy to have a member willing to pass on bucks and shoot does with CWD concerns 😉. How has the member capacity been recently? I'm guessing CWD has lost some members, but Covid has increased hunting demand in every area I've been to.

I haven't called yet, and I thought I should wait until after they finish the bird dog championship. I would also like to know what my chances are on getting in. I'm hoping to hear from some members, whom I know frequent the site.

fairchaser

Hi Red: I've been a member of Ames since 2010. There are others on this site that have been longer so they may have a different perspective. The property is absolutely the most prime, most beautiful often most challenging whitetail habitat you've ever seen. It essentially has it all! The people are also some of the finest people you'll ever meet. Those two things alone keeps a lot of us coming back. Unfortunately the deer herd has been devastated by CWD and some would say by their management practices. I would not agree with the second part. They have some very smart people who are dealing with a big problem with no real answers.
The deer numbers are certainly down and really don't know if they will improve unless fawn recruitment gets much better. They killed about 140 deer with 90 does and 50 bucks. Currently members are required to kill a doe before a buck. There are no other restrictions on bucks but that could change this year.
It was difficult to even see deer this past season and some members couldn't kill a doe but others found a few and several members killed 2-3 bucks,
I didn't kill a buck but saw several decent bucks that were 3.5 100-115 but waiting on something better. It took me until ML season to kill a doe but had multiple opportunities after that. I didn't want to kill anymore until after I killed a buck which never happened. My one doe was CWD positive.
About 1/2 the bucks and 15-20% of the does will be positive for CWD.
I plan on joining back this year because I don't have a better alternative and it's convenient for me. I love the property and the people but I've had to change my perspective on the deer compared to the past at Ames.
You'll have no problem getting in the club. Just call Beth at the main office. The turkey club has a waiting list and is a separate membership.
I'd be happy to share more. Just drop me a pm.

redgineer

Hi Red: I've been a member of Ames since 2010. There are others on this site that have been longer so they may have a different perspective. The property is absolutely the most prime, most beautiful often most challenging whitetail habitat you've ever seen. It essentially has it all! The people are also some of the finest people you'll ever meet. Those two things alone keeps a lot of us coming back. Unfortunately the deer herd has been devastated by CWD and some would say by their management practices. I would not agree with the second part. They have some very smart people who are dealing with a big problem with no real answers.
The deer numbers are certainly down and really don't know if they will improve unless fawn recruitment gets much better. They killed about 140 deer with 90 does and 50 bucks. Currently members are required to kill a doe before a buck. There are no other restrictions on bucks but that could change this year.
It was difficult to even see deer this past season and some members couldn't kill a doe but others found a few and several members killed 2-3 bucks,
I didn't kill a buck but saw several decent bucks that were 3.5 100-115 but waiting on something better. It took me until ML season to kill a doe but had multiple opportunities after that. I didn't want to kill anymore until after I killed a buck which never happened. My one doe was CWD positive.
About 1/2 the bucks and 15-20% of the does will be positive for CWD.
I plan on joining back this year because I don't have a better alternative and it's convenient for me. I love the property and the people but I've had to change my perspective on the deer compared to the past at Ames.
You'll have no problem getting in the club. Just call Beth at the main office. The turkey club has a waiting list and is a separate membership.
I'd be happy to share more. Just drop me a pm.
Thanks for reaching out fairchaser! Forgive me for my ignorance, but I can't figure out how to send you a PM. If you could send me one I can to reply to you.

david k.

I agree with everything fairchaser says...I've been a member since about 2006-2007 or thereabouts. Membership had been as high as about 120 guys (too many in my opinion) and as low as about 60 this past year....75 to 80 members is very easily manageable and feels about right.

Even though they opened it up to ANY buck this past year, most of us still tried to hold out for more mature bucks this past year, and I hope and suspect that the management at Ames will go back to a more restrictive buck rule next year.

I was able to take 3 doe (could have killed a lot more...) and a 4+ year old buck this year...I shot the buck near the end of the year, he was a broken up 8 pointer that still scored 108" but even if he had not been broken up would've scored about 117-118" so he'd have likely never made the former club minimum of 125". He field dressed at almost 145 lbs post rut and had over 5" bases.

I actually saw, but couldn't get shots at 3 other "shooter" bucks that I had on trail camera, one I saw twice during archery and then a third time on opening day of ML but the "kill a doe before you kill a buck" rule saved him...I shot my first doe later that morning and never saw him again.

As an example of the friends you can make there, fairchaser and I had never met before Ames....he and I are going on a moose hunt in September together.

redgineer

I checked my conversations and didn't see anything. I will talk with tech support to take care of the issue.

From what you and david k have said, I'm 90% certain I will be out there this fall. It looks like I still have a good chance on getting venison if I put in the work, and 18k acres of private wilderness sounds amazing. I didn't know places like this existed in the Southeast. It sounds like the adventure of public land, but without having to worry about getting shot or encountering meth heads.

BigAl

I checked my conversations and didn't see anything. I will talk with tech support to take care of the issue.

From what you and david k have said, I'm 90% certain I will be out there this fall. It looks like I still have a good chance on getting venison if I put in the work, and 18k acres of private wilderness sounds amazing. I didn't know places like this existed in the Southeast. It sounds like the adventure of public land, but without having to worry about getting shot or encountering meth heads.
You might already know this, but Ames has some strict rules regarding 4 wheelers and access. Be prepared to put in some foot-miles.

Antler Daddy

I agree with everything fairchaser says...I've been a member since about 2006-2007 or thereabouts. Membership had been as high as about 120 guys (too many in my opinion) and as low as about 60 this past year....75 to 80 members is very easily manageable and feels about right.

Even though they opened it up to ANY buck this past year, most of us still tried to hold out for more mature bucks this past year, and I hope and suspect that the management at Ames will go back to a more restrictive buck rule next year.

I was able to take 3 doe (could have killed a lot more...) and a 4+ year old buck this year...I shot the buck near the end of the year, he was a broken up 8 pointer that still scored 108" but even if he had not been broken up would've scored about 117-118" so he'd have likely never made the former club minimum of 125". He field dressed at almost 145 lbs post rut and had over 5" bases.

I actually saw, but couldn't get shots at 3 other "shooter" bucks that I had on trail camera, one I saw twice during archery and then a third time on opening day of ML but the "kill a doe before you kill a buck" rule saved him...I shot my first doe later that morning and never saw him again.

As an example of the friends you can make there, fairchaser and I had never met before Ames....he and I are going on a moose hunt in September together.
Are you guys going moose hunting with an outfitter and what area?

fairchaser

You might already know this, but Ames has some strict rules regarding 4 wheelers and access. Be prepared to put in some foot-miles.
Many of the guys use electric bikes which are legal to get around. Also 95% of the plantation is accessible within 2 miles of any parking place. ATVs are allowed for deer retrieval, certain disabilities and for anyone into designated remote areas.

redgineer

Many of the guys use electric bikes which are legal to get around. Also 95% of the plantation is accessible within 2 miles of any parking place. ATVs are allowed for deer retrieval, certain disabilities and for anyone into designated remote areas.
I don't mind walking a few miles. I actually prefer it before a hunt, it makes sitting still for hours a lot easier.

BigAl

Yep, I remember you even let me take your bike for a test spin once. :)

Latest posts