All you big time coyote hunters

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
It has been years since I coyote hunted.
Used to do it all the time.
Gonna get back into it now.
Just wondering how you all, that hunt them all the time, do it during deer season.
I remember having a pretty heated conversation with the local game warden years ago about not being able to use a rifle during bow and muzzleloader seasons.
I didn't give two squirts about bow or muzzleloader hunting back then and the conversation finally ended with him telling me if he caught me in the woods with a rifle during either season I would get a ticket.

Soooo do ya'll just wait till deer season is over completely or what?
Or just wait till rifle season is open?

PossumSlayer

2-Step Enabled
It has been years since I coyote hunted.
Used to do it all the time.
Gonna get back into it now.
Just wondering how you all, that hunt them all the time, do it during deer season.
I remember having a pretty heated conversation with the local game warden years ago about not being able to use a rifle during bow and muzzleloader seasons.
I didn't give two squirts about bow or muzzleloader hunting back then and the conversation finally ended with him telling me if he caught me in the woods with a rifle during either season I would get a ticket.

Soooo do ya'll just wait till deer season is over completely or what?
Or just wait till rifle season is open?
Can't you just use a rimfire since squirrel season is open then? This is what I do.

backyardtndeer

I am not a "big time" coyote hunter, but I kill them indiscriminantly. I understand the current regs to read coyotes are open year round. I take that to mean that on my small farm, I can kill them year round. Had some discussions with our warden, and he never told me I couldn't kill coyotes with a rifle in archery or muzzleloader season. I have killed several in my pastures from the house with rifle outside of the rifle season for deer, some of those could have been during the archery or muzzleloader seasons. As a small farm landowner with cows, I don't hesitate to kill coyotes that give me an opportunity.

PickettSFHunter

We don't have to consider a game warden in my county anymore as we no longer have one that actually works at being a warden. If I see a coyote, and I have a rifle, it's getting shot with a rifle, don't care when it is. If I went out to specifically call for coyotes in September, yep I'd have a rifle. Some of you all may actually have GW's still though 😂 All this being said, I don't worry about targeting coyotes until it's already rifle season or after deer season anyway.

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
From the 2021-22 Tennessee Hunting and Trapping Guide, page 14, Manner and Means, under Miscellaneous:

9. During an archery only or muzzleloader/
archery only deer, bear or elk season, furbearers
may not be taken with rifles and handguns
using centerfire ammunition. During the gun/
muzzleloader/archery seasons, furbearers may
be taken by legal big game hunters licensed
for the weapon they are using.

backyardtndeer

From the 2021-22 Tennessee Hunting and Trapping Guide, page 14, Manner and Means, under Miscellaneous:
For cwd zones rifle is legal for deer during the muzzleloader season. The above does not address that. I would assume that if you are legal to kill deer with a rifle during the muzzleloader season in cwd zones, that you would likewise be legal to kill coyotes during the muzzleloader season in those same zones.

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
For cwd zones rifle is legal for deer during the muzzleloader season. The above does not address that. I would assume that if you are legal to kill deer with a rifle during the muzzleloader season in cwd zones, that you would likewise be legal to kill coyotes during the muzzleloader season in those same zones.

This note is in the Deer Season table in the Hunting Guide so I think it is covered and agree that killing coyotes with centerfire rifles and pistols is okay during CWD gun season.

3 Unit CWD begins gun season (G/M/A) on Nov. 6 and therefore does not have a muzzleloader only (M/A) season.

Last edited:

1 good shot

35 whelen is a bit much but dead is dead.
Came by my deer stand before good daylight this morning

Attachments

• 20211130_104620.jpg
    20211130_104620.jpg
    517.3 KB · Views: 81

1 good shot

35 whelen is a bit much but dead is dead.
Came by my deer stand before good daylight this morning
This was the 3rd one in the last week.
I am seeing about as many coyotes as I am deer. We used to be way overpopulated with deer. I found a few dead ones before season opened and got some pics of some really pitiful looking deer. I have heard the least amount of shooting this year that I can remember. So it's not just me not seeing deer. Coyotes breed according to the food supply and apparently their population is booming. The more food they have, the more pups are in a litter. All things considered, it make me think we have had a lot of deer to die off.

nso123

On our farm I have seen a ton of them on my cameras. They are all healthy looking too. Unfortunately, the turkeys have suddenly disappeared from the farm. As soon as the juvenile hunt is over I am going on a mission.

Latest posts