Age of this buck

swd

I saw this buck last Friday morning. I shared an estimate on his age with a friend. He thinks I was wrong. How old do you all think he is?

Thanks!

40e54fc69580518c42c11e719e590656.jpg
d1a89d5e622ad0dc13c7d66f284b26d5.jpg

swd

Yeah. The pics were taken from a 15' tower. I am thinking 3.5, but my buddy was saying 2.5. He only saw these pics.

Not sure he was in decline. He seemed pretty healthy while I watched him for 30 minutes or so. I am just practicing at aging them on the hoof. Never really cared much before now. Most places I have hunted, if it made me happy, it got shot.

TDW05

2-Step Enabled
I don't know if it's the picture but that nose looks like an older deer snout lol

catman529

TDW05":242q9tm9 said:
I don't know if it's the picture but that nose looks like an older deer snout lol
some deer have a Roman nose, it's genetic and not age related

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

catman529

swd":46itjynd said:
Yeah. The pics were taken from a 15' tower. I am thinking 3.5, but my buddy was saying 2.5. He only saw these pics.

Not sure he was in decline. He seemed pretty healthy while I watched him for 30 minutes or so. I am just practicing at aging them on the hoof. Never really cared much before now. Most places I have hunted, if it made me happy, it got shot.
I would say he doesn't have enough neck to be 3.5. I almost thought it looked like a yearling, but he's a little thicker all around than most yearlings. A yearling looks like a doe with antlers. 2.5 year old is a little thicker, but not swole looking. 3.5 the neck starts to get noticeably thick, but is still distinct from the rest of the body. 4.5 the neck is thick and widens out to the torso without much distinction, and the whole front end of the deer is heavier than the back end. 5.5 the back end fills out and the whole deer looks huge, especially the neck but also the whole body. 6.5+ you start to see signs of gravity catching up to the body, like sagging belly and brisket, shoulders more pronounced, sway back, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts