Advice on a crossbow bolt selection

DaveB

Have an opportunity to hunt a property but it is archery only. I can use a cross bow.

So I need some suggestions on which bolt to acquire.

I figure this is like hand loading, you can try a lot of combinations before you get real happy but I need to slice that testing way down.

I am probably gong to end up with a Carbon express sniper bow.

Anyone have hands on experience which bolt selection I should go with? Same for broadhead although I have quite a few left over from my PSE days.

I sure appreciate your experience.

cbhunter

If you are talking about the centerpoint sniper, the bolts that come with it are definitely junk. I went with 22" gold tips on my setup. With that being said, I'm not a gear junkie and have not shot anything other that those. I can flat out group them though. I paired them with 125g thunderhead fixed blades. No complaints here.

jlanecr500

I use only Golt Tip bolts with brass inserts. They are lite and strong. With the brass insert, the FOC is perfect.
For mechanicals, an FOC of 15% or greater is good. This can be achieved with most any bolt. For fixed broadheads, the FOC must be 25% or greater. Gold Tips with brass insert and a 125gr fixed broadlead will very accurate.

DaveB

wow. The place to hunt is no longer available.

I have a crossbow, bolts and blades on the way.

Guess I better find a bow hunting spot.

cbhunter

DaveB":1wqths9o said:
wow. The place to hunt is no longer available.

I have a crossbow, bolts and blades on the way.

Guess I better find a bow hunting spot.

Man it sure is depressing to lose your places to hunt. I lost 200 acres this year and just cant even get in the mood. I did gain a couple smaller tracts but still depressed.

Have you shot that bow yet? just wondered if you liked it?

DaveB

We have not shot the crossbow yet.

New bolts and broadheads arrived and the bow has been assembled.

Hopefully headed to range this week.

I am going to be scouting some public land next week. Not holding out much hope.

I hunted 32 acres for 5 years-a slice of dirt surrounded on 3 sides by non-hunting land. herds of deer from 8 to 17 constantly crossing. Bear down on the smaller properties, they can be gold mines.

cbhunter

DaveB":vb65p93x said:

I am going to be scouting some public land next week. Not holding out much hope.

I hunted 32 acres for 5 years-a slice of dirt surrounded on 3 sides by non-hunting land. herds of deer from 8 to 17 constantly crossing. Bear down on the smaller properties, they can be gold mines.

Yea, the back side of my smaller acreage is a 1000 acre lake. it is somewhat of a man made funnel area.

catsbackr

DaveB":33v7y73d said:

You really don't need a range for a bow. Do you have a back yard? Just saying....

DaveB

My backyard is a bit small.

When we purchased the lot and found a builder and the footing was poured, wife and I stood on the footing. Wife had tears running down her face. She looked at me and said the yard is sooooooo small.

It is further from my front door to the street than it is from the backdoor to the fence.

About 7 years ago my boys were shooting a 30 pound max pull bow at a target in the backyard. Arrow hit target on the shaft and that arrow sailed right into my neighbors yard and struck his BBQ grill.

My yard is a little small.

TheLBLman

catsbackr":35k78f2m said:
You really don't need a range for a bow. Do you have a back yard? Just saying....
Sometimes, safety gets overlooked, just saying . . . . .

Back when I was in college, I was shooting bows in one of my teacher's back yard.
He lived in a typical subdivision, although the nearest house behind his was pushing 150 yards.
He had a great archery target with an approximate 6 ft x 6 ft backstop of bales of hay behind it.
Seemed safe, at the time.

We shot a few arrows, all went well.
Then, while I was drawing back my bow, my release aid simply BROKE.
That was back when I pointed my bow up a bit while drawing (makes it easier to draw).
That arrow hit the house 150 yards in the background.
I'm remain thankful it didn't hit somebody or a window.

I've been much more safety conscious ever since when shooting targets.

catsbackr

TheLBLman":2x19ei43 said:
catsbackr":2x19ei43 said:
Sometimes, safety gets overlooked, just saying . . . . .

Back when I was in college, I was shooting bows in one of my teacher's back yard.
He lived in a typical subdivision, although the nearest house behind his was pushing 150 yards.
He had a great archery target with an approximate 6 ft x 6 ft backstop of bales of hay behind it.
Seemed safe, at the time.

We shot a few arrows, all went well.
Then, while I was drawing back my bow, my release aid simply BROKE.
That was back when I pointed my bow up a bit while drawing (makes it easier to draw).
That arrow hit the house 150 yards in the background.
I'm remain thankful it didn't hit somebody or a window
I've been much more safety conscious ever since when shooting targets.

Sorry, I guess I took common sense for granted.

Maybe you could site it in in the middle of a football field or something. You know, to be safe. ;) ;)

Latest posts