Accuracy issues with my Traditions Vortex Striker Fire

Devin2009

I'm very confused as to what the issue is, last year the gun shot perfect. This year I got out today and shot it and it was all over the place. I was shooting blackhorn 209 at 120 grains with a 250 grain Barnes Tez. I kept getting hang fires with the black horn so I switched to 777 pellets at 150 grains and a 250 grain Hornaday Sst it was much more consistent but still not no where near as good as it was last year. I'm baffled at the change just over a summer. It was new last year, I killed a coyote at 125 yards perfect shot. I did shoot at doe at about 40 yards the last day of muzzleloader season last year, after that I cleaned up and put it up until today.
Anyone else ever have these kind or issues? I'm unsure what to do next. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to how my guns shoot and it's got me worried.

PickettSFHunter

I've had more trouble with mine than any ML
I've ever had. I've been ready to throw it in the lake several times. I could not get BH209 to shoot in mine with many bullets and many charges. I ended up settling with 777 and 250 gr Barnes MZ's(which seem to be out of stock everywhere now). That combo shoots ok in mine but I had to go with Harvester Crush Rib sabots also. The Bores are extremely tight on those ML's, harvester crush ribs make a huge difference. The bores are also really bad to rust up even with religious cleaning that any other ML would be great with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Devin2009

I have noticed that the bore is way tight. The sst bullets seem to load easier than any other bullet. I ran out of daylight this evening but it's way better than it has been. Its about 4 inches right dead on up and down at 100 yards. I think with some adjustments to my scope its gonna be good. The last 2 shots was touching at least. I love how the gun feels and the balance of it. It worries me how crazy it shoots tho.

PickettSFHunter

I love how they balance and the trigger is amazing. Let me know what you get worked out please. I spent a small fortune getting to where I am with mine now. You'll thank me if you get some Harvester Crush Rib sabots. Just read online, there are MANY people that have had these same issue with the Vortek.

muddyboots

No telling how many people call me to help them sight in there muzzleloader as I have spent a lot of time and money getting mine too shoot perfect. It's usually one of two things. Bad scope or too much powder. 150 grains sounds good on tv but they sell powder. It's not good for accuracy in my experience. I shoot 90 grains 777 loose and Barnes Mz bullets. They touch at 100 yards. I also got a Barnes loading jag. That helped tighten my groups also.

ImThere

I know the Pursuit isn't the same gun but mine likes the Hornady with the red sabots better than any other.
Is your powder new or old? Primers new or old?

Devin2009

Thanks for all the help first off!

I thought the powder might be the issue so I opened a new jug, I came into about 3 jugs of bh209 on clearance last year.
I'm gonna try the harvester crush rib sabots and see, funny you said that as I thought about that myself before I even asked. I'll keep you posted on what I come up with whenever I get a chance to shoot it again.
I will back down on the powder as well, I just shot the 150 grains and sst as it was already made up for my Tc omega that is lights out with that load. I did back down too 100 grains of bh 209 but still had the hang fires. I'm confident that is the reason for the crazy spread out shots.
I dont think it's the scope due to the first 2 shots was touching high and right by about 4 inches, I adjusted the scope and got it dead on just still to the right, I would have kept shooting to get it dead on but it got dark.
To clear up some confusion about the earlier posts I meant that I shot the same combo last year but never did have any kind of hang fires at all. I also read up when I got done and apparently I'm not the only one who has had those issues with the traditions vortex guns. I was somewhat wondering if how the breech plug is designed with the long flash channel and flat end could he causing the issues. My Tc omega has a bowel type breech plug to have the powder closer to the primer.
I also am shooting cci 209 magnum primers so I know they are plenty hot enough to set the load off quickly.

I'm gonna stay after it and hopefully get it right if not I always got my Tc omega that I know is on and will get the job done. It is just heavier and alot more front heavy compared to my Traditions.

Jcalder

Clean the flame channel out of your breech plug. 1/8" drill bit should be close but I'm sure you can find which one it needs. You'll need to clean the carbon out every 6 shots or so. Don't know what primers you're using but do not use ML primers with blackhorn. Use a cci209A if you can find them.

MUP

Jcalder":1tlqqzo3 said:
Clean the flame channel out of your breech plug. 1/8" drill bit should be close but I'm sure you can find which one it needs. You'll need to clean the carbon out every 6 shots or so. Don't know what primers you're using but do not use ML primers with blackhorn. Use a cci209A if you can find them.

I agree, especially if you're having hangfires. That sounds like an ignition issue, and a dirty BP could be the culprit.

GMB54

9 times out of 10 when i hear about hang fires in known good plugs its carbon build up in the flash channel and the owner has never cleaned it with a drill bit. Some are simply using the ML 209s that are far too weak to ignite BH209 reliably.

This info is right on the Blackhorn209 website. Not sure why so many miss it if they can ask on the forums. https://www.blackhorn209.com/specs/bree ... -cleaning/
ejGIRDN.jpg

breach_kit.png

Traditions breach plugs are marginal for BH209 but not terrible. They should be kept clean and a mag primer is a good idea. The other option is send your plug to Badger Ridge for a upgrade to a vent liner. The mod includes increasing the flash channel to 5/32 and making the channel a little shorter. He is a bit over priced for the work but it makes a marginal plug much better.

Devin2009

I am using Cci209 magnum primers, I and gonna use another pack and see if that could be the cause. I do take a drill bit and clean out the flash channel every time I clean it. I even keep the drill bit with my cleaning stuff. I have some Federal 209a primers I reload my shot shells with I'm gonna try and see if they helps. If the rain stops today I hope to find some answers.

Devin2009

I got it figured out! Bh 209 was still hang firing after switching primers deep cleaning the breech plug and backing off on the charge volume. So I switched to 3 50 grain 777 pellets and used a Barnes 250 grain tez bullet. I had to adjust my scope just a little bit to get perfect where I wanted it. The last 2 shots are the 2 close together about 2 inches high. I was shooting 100 yards so I'm pleased with the performance of this combo.

Thanks to everyone's input and suggestions!

Attachments

• 20191021_155022.jpg
    20191021_155022.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 2,212

GMB54

So your solution was to use a load that exceeds Traditions load data?
https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/...ek StrikerFire Manual FIT-58 7-13 (Final).pdf

Im stumped as to why yours is having problems with BH209 if the plug is clean and you used a mag primer. Unless you have a really loose bore which would be uncommon for a Traditions...The TEZ sabot should be tight enough. If it worked before what has changed? Something in the equation is missing.

Omega

GMB54":2ghha7c3 said:
So your solution was to use a load that exceeds Traditions load data?
https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/...ek StrikerFire Manual FIT-58 7-13 (Final).pdf

Im stumped as to why yours is having problems with BH209 if the plug is clean and you used a mag primer. Unless you have a really loose bore which would be uncommon for a Traditions...The TEZ sabot should be tight enough. If it worked before what has changed? Something in the equation is missing.
150 grains is max, but within specs. Some rifles like what they like, even if we feel different.

GMB54

No its not within max. Traditions 150gr max is for real black only. Says so right in the manual. A 3 pellet load makes far more peak pressure than even 120grV of BH209 or 150gr of real black.
bvEbDHo.png

4BKNSqI.png

3ZRRoFh.png

Latest posts