Abu Garcia @ walmart

tntacomaguy

Just bought a Abu Garcia 7' bait cast combo online from Walmart. Says its $70 off regular price. Haven't tried a bait cast reel before so I figured it would be cheap enough to throw in the lake if I can't figure it out lol (just kidding about littering). They have a right handed and a left handed on sale, looks like a few other combos on sale also. Hopefully this will get me a reason to try my hand at fishing again. Gave up last year after probably 20 trips out and never got one bite :mad:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Abu-Garc...4?athbdg=null&athbdg=L1100_L1100&from=/search

Spurhunter

Haven't tried a bait cast reel before so I figured it would be cheap enough to throw in the lake if I can't figure it out
Keep in mind the quality of this reel is not going to be great, so it won't be real forgiving to learn on. The better (and usually more expensive) the reel, the harder it is to backlash. The braking system and all the adjustments are just better. Be patient and you'll get it. I'm sure there's plenty of youtube videos to help you set your adjustments before you start practicing. Quality line isn't going to have as much memory as cheap line and won't be as easy to backlash. Everybody has a favorite. Mine is Sufix Elite. For this combo I would buy some 12 pound test Sufix Elite, make sure you put it on the correct way, and go to town. If you have questions there's a ton of experienced anglers on this site that will be happy to help.

tntacomaguy

Well I'm not too worried about getting 'high quality' nor do I expect it to be one. I used a $20-30 spinning reel combo from Bass Pro and it seemed to work just fine for me. I def don't have 10s of thousands of dollars most people put towards fishing, specially since I have no clue what I'm doing and have never caught a fish, so this $30 is most likely a waste of money anyway for me.

Spurhunter

I have no clue what I'm doing and have never caught a fish, so this $30 is most likely a waste of money anyway for me.
There is plenty of help available here. Probably somebody on the east side that would take you. If you get where you can cast decent with that new rod and have somewhere to go you can catch fish. If you are really interested Flukemaster is a great YouTube channel. He does beginner videos too. Mike Iaconelli has a great channel and is a very good teacher also.

tntacomaguy

There is plenty of help available here. Probably somebody on the east side that would take you. If you get where you can cast decent with that new rod and have somewhere to go you can catch fish. If you are really interested Flukemaster is a great YouTube channel. He does beginner videos too. Mike Iaconelli has a great channel and is a very good teacher also.
I'm making a note of those channels right now. I've got a couple guys at work that are big into fishing and they've offered to take me out on their boat one day. I think if I finally catch one I'll be hooked (pun intended)

Spurhunter

I'm making a note of those channels right now. I've got a couple guys at work that are big into fishing and they've offered to take me out on their boat one day. I think if I finally catch one I'll be hooked (pun intended)
Good luck! I love to see people get hooked on fishing. As long as they don't fish on "my" lake. 😁

Kimber45

Most fun fishing I ever had in my life was with no bait - no lure - no net. Hit one of those absolutely perfect days at a private lake in Dyersburg many decades ago - Hot - Clear - no wind - water was perfectly clear - bream beds everywhere and they were loaded! Myself and one other guy … way over 150! We had carried bait - literally gone in 20 minutes. We started throwing new shiny hooks - they looked like piranha hittin them hooks! I didn't want to do that again for a long time as my buddy gave me all the fish .. and cleaning that many was beyond ugly especially for a bass fisherman (or at least I claimed to be 😁) .. where I'd go catch 4 or 5 keepers - sometimes more, and sometimes 0! Sure had a lot of fun fishing the bottoms for bass.. and occasional crappie

BigCityBubba

Well I'm not too worried about getting 'high quality' nor do I expect it to be one. I used a $20-30 spinning reel combo from Bass Pro and it seemed to work just fine for me. I def don't have 10s of thousands of dollars most people put towards fishing, specially since I have no clue what I'm doing and have never caught a fish, so this $30 is most likely a waste of money anyway for me.
The disadvantage of a cheap and unforgiving bait caster is that you may get so aggravated that you throw it in the lake cussing at the top of your lungs and quite possibly never fish with a bait caster ever again. I have thrown my share in the lake. My only suggestion is to take it off the rod before you throw it as hard as you can out into the water. Just something I have learned over the years.