A VERY!! GOOD Weekend...

Crow Terminator

I just got back this morning from a 3 day relic hunt up in Northern Virginia. Man this is my best weekend of war relic hunting ever! There is more in this case than I normally dig in a year around here.

P3220077.jpg

Crow Terminator

Still out there...

There are still good sites out there for those willing to put some research and leg work into them. There were about 400 of us on just 400 acres and EVERYBODY found stuff. Had this been a site I found on my own, I could have dug it for years and still not found everything. I mean out of 3 days of hunting up there, they were still finding belt plates on the 3rd day.

Unfortunately, relic hunting has turned into what deer hunting has become. The days of just knocking on doors and asking permission are about gone...now days you gotta pretty much lease the area to get on the places that haven't been dug much. That's what we had to do up there...$225 a person for 400 acres. But it was well worth it. I think there were 28 belt plates dug on the first day alone. I've been relic hunting around here for 17 years now and in all that time I've only found ONE around here...and on my 3rd trip to Virginia I dig one and walked all around two more that I know of. I watched one guy dig one that I had passed within about a yard of.

splitter

Re: Still out there...

that looks really neat i bet down my way it would be possible to find some stuff. Tinker Dave Beaty and a few boys had a few skirmishes on my road, he's buried about 2 miles from my house.

muzzy76

good deal- I know they havent released the area of the fall DIV hunt, but guaranteed it will be good, even if DIV has hunted it one time (partially at least) in the past. my buddy makes all their mpas for them

Crow Terminator

Yeah the place we hunted in the spring was part of the property they hunted once before...they just added a few acres to it that were previously off limits. A lot of the guys on the hunts know what they are doing and how to read that bad soil...and then there are others who don't know anything about it. On the 2nd and 3rd days, they were still finding belt plates, and I was still digging bullets and such out of places that had been flat pounded. That was one big winter camp an a man could spend the next several seasons in there and still not dig it half way out.

It's amazing though what they pull out of the ground at one of those hunts and the diversity of the people at them. On day 1, I was hunting along and saw two guys give one another the "high five"...one had just dug something out of the ground. I was thinking "oh man they just dug a plate" and came over to see what it was. One of them was posing beside the spot he dug whatever it was he was holding up, and smiling ear to ear. When I got over there I was excited too, still not knowing what they had. I said "what did ya get?!" and he said something that blew my mind. "I just dug my first Civil War bullet ever!" and I don't think there was a happier fella the whole hunt than him.

droptine

Daniel, my dad and his small group has been digging in VA since the mid 70's. You are right, it is getting harder and harder to get onto properties. They dig probably 3-4 days a week. They still go back and hit spots they have been going to for years.

Latest posts