• Help Support TNDeer:

A good use for Pitbulls

fredfred

This was her first catch. Once she figured it out she was all about it. Not the best pics but that's all I got. Shes not mine but we were trying her out.
IMG_20130401_145632_131_zps70c1dae3.jpg
[/img]
IMG_20130401_145621_419_zps3f85a2aa.jpg
[/img]

LOL any of my older hounds would've killed it in a heartbeat but those 11 month olds haven't figured it out yet. It was funny to watch that little hog run them out of that brush pile

We tried pits for a while for catch dogs but never had much luck. They would catch but were to aggressive to the bay dogs and fought a lot and that is NOT a slam to the pit owners, just fact. We mixed a few with Americans and they calmed down some but still lacked stamina. If you want a good catch dog, a Blackmouth or Catahoula is the way to go. And Fredfred, I know them ol Plott dogs will get it done to!

Oh yeah they do LOL. The Pitbulls are more of a novelty to me. I really don't see the need and would've killed that one if it had jumped on one of my hounds. I don't own one and don't see me ever owning one. It was something new my hunting buddy wanted to try. He has a Poltt/pit mix that will flat shut one down if you need him too

One of the best hunting videos I've ever seen, if not the best,(I've never hog hunted the first time btw) was different scenes of these same guys running some boars and once a group of hounds got it bayed they would release the catch dog (pit bull) and that SOB would run full throttle at that huge Boar and never miss a step and hit that pig like a friggin' mack truck and latch on to its ear, side of head, or neck and NEVER let go. It was amazing to see such a small animal, in comparison to the boar, to have zero fear and zero hesitation. That hog tried to throw the pit of course and sometimes that pit would look like a rag doll but not once did I see one break free. I wish I knew more details about the video or who made it but it was AMAZING. Maybe you hog hunters see this stuff all the time, but I was floored.

I've never hunted behind a pack of cur dogs and wouldn't mind it at all. But I would miss the music my hounds play for me. But as long as your catching hogs with dogs I'll be happy

I went on a hunt about 2 weeks ago in South Ga. They had curs and plotts and one big bluetick for track/bay dogs, but 2 pits and a American for their catch dogs. One of the wildest hunts I've been on. They took two packs and turned out on opposite sides of the block trying to keep'em from crossing river. They had 5 caught in 30 minutes. I don't care what you use as long as pigs die!!! Kill'em ALL.

We had a couple of pit/plott crosses and they would rather catch a dog than a hog and they would try to catch on a bear, which meant they did not last very long.

I agree the Catahoula and Blackmouths are the way to go from my experience! Overall they get the job done without the problems of jumping on other dogs. I will say its something to see when a Pit hits a big hog at full speed and never breaks until you tie him or slip the knife in him!

Back