A good Rockfish

Dbllunger

Well-Known Member
Supporter
Joined
Dec 8, 2004
Messages
9,941
Location
Middle Tennessee
Managed to hit my favorite rockfish waters yesterday afternoon and had a blast. Only caught two fish but one was 30 lbs on the boga's and the other was 16. Had several take a swipe and not hookup and in one place had three 20+ pounders try to grab it just as I was pulling the lure out of the water. Glad to see the fish are right back where they normally are and can't wait to get them again. Here's a pic of the 30.

You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.
 

Attachments

    You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

spoonie

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2015
Messages
443
Location
Middle TN
Thats awesome! i've been catching several myself the last few weeks, I wish my spots held fish close to that size but most are probalby 6-15lbs id say
 

Dbllunger

Well-Known Member
Supporter
Joined
Dec 8, 2004
Messages
9,941
Location
Middle Tennessee
Thats awesome! i've been catching several myself the last few weeks, I wish my spots held fish close to that size but most are probalby 6-15lbs id say

Yeah you certainly don't catch big numbers of fish on my waters but the quality is definitely there. I have a Journal/Spreadsheet that I have kept for the last 8 years. Every fish caught has been weighed, recorded water temps, locations and weather conditions and other info. The average fish caught is just shy of 16 lbs but with several in the high 30 to low 40 range and lots of fish in the 20's and definitely some smaller ones on occasion. Every single fish was caught on a 7" Redfin lure by Cotton Cordell. The color I like they don't make anymore so I buy them in whatever color and paint them. Don't really know if it matters or not but I like to think it does. I'm convinced that presentation is the primary factor that gets hits.
 

spoonie

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2015
Messages
443
Location
Middle TN
Yeah you certainly don't catch big numbers of fish on my waters but the quality is definitely there. I have a Journal/Spreadsheet that I have kept for the last 8 years. Every fish caught has been weighed, recorded water temps, locations and weather conditions and other info. The average fish caught is just shy of 16 lbs but with several in the high 30 to low 40 range and lots of fish in the 20's and definitely some smaller ones on occasion. Every single fish was caught on a 7" Redfin lure by Cotton Cordell. The color I like they don't make anymore so I buy them in whatever color and paint them. Don't really know if it matters or not but I like to think it does. I'm convinced that presentation is the primary factor that gets hits.
I haven't studied them an awful lot but i find them in my local river where cold creeks or springs run out. Ive caught 90% on smithwick deep diving jerk baits and the other 10% on live bluegill's after dark.
I've just found out about the deep diving redfins and couldnt find any availble online except on ebay. I ordered two in the smokey joe color, went out monday and caught two off of it. I really like them and they seem like a lot better quality even the hooks held up great. Maybe i can find some cheaper online eventually than going thru ebay. Plenty of shallow running one's available thru online retailers
 

Dbllunger

Well-Known Member
Supporter
Joined
Dec 8, 2004
Messages
9,941
Location
Middle Tennessee
I haven't studied them an awful lot but i find them in my local river where cold creeks or springs run out. Ive caught 90% on smithwick deep diving jerk baits and the other 10% on live bluegill's after dark.
I've just found out about the deep diving redfins and couldnt find any availble online except on ebay. I ordered two in the smokey joe color, went out monday and caught two off of it. I really like them and they seem like a lot better quality even the hooks held up great. Maybe i can find some cheaper online eventually than going thru ebay. Plenty of shallow running one's available thru online retailers

Smokey Joe color is my second favorite. The redfins I fish will only dive about a foot deep and I don't run them that deep. It's usually a slow retrieve just under the surface of the water. I'm not sure where your fishing but I would assume that the water conditions are very different and maybe a deep diver may work better in your situation.
 

Latest posts

Top