9 Point Buck

Hunter 257W

Andy S.":1ii9o8po said:
Great story and great buck, big congrats to you! What kind of truck is that in the pic?

It's a 64 Chevy body sitting on a 75 4WD Blazer chassis. My pride and joy that I've had for 32 years now. It's rough but I love the style and it does the job I bought it for.

Hunter 257W

fairchaser":rrtp036o said:
Great buck and great shot. I'm sure that Weatherby shoots flat but only 4 inches for 400 yds. You must have it zeroed out to 300 yds. I'd love to make a shot that far but you bet I'm gonna be dialing it in with my turrets.

I meant that it would only drop about an additional 4 or so inches more than it did at the 350 yard target I was shooting the day before. This was more my quick mental calculations while trying to decide whether or not to take the shot rather than precise accurate trajectory numbers. But, Yes, I do have it set to hit an inch or so high at 300 yards. Any closer is wasting the ability of such a cartridge in my opinion. i don't want to have to mess with adjusting a scope when hunting so i push the "point blank zero" idea to the limit.

fairchaser

Hunter 257W":2u9kn8kq said:
fairchaser":2u9kn8kq said:
Great buck and great shot. I'm sure that Weatherby shoots flat but only 4 inches for 400 yds. You must have it zeroed out to 300 yds. I'd love to make a shot that far but you bet I'm gonna be dialing it in with my turrets.

I meant that it would only drop about an additional 4 or so inches more than it did at the 350 yard target I was shooting the day before. This was more my quick mental calculations while trying to decide whether or not to take the shot rather than precise accurate trajectory numbers. But, Yes, I do have it set to hit an inch or so high at 300 yards. Any closer is wasting the ability of such a cartridge in my opinion. i don't want to have to mess with adjusting a scope when hunting so i push the "point blank zero" idea to the limit.

Yes you did! Great shot! Congrats on a fine buck. One thing I use for a handy ballistics calculator is an APP called StrelokPro. You can preprogram all the specifics about your load and it will calculate all the adjustments. Even the environmental conditions are programmed. It will even back into your loads speed if you know the drop. It's a handy tool if your gonna be making those long shots.

Latest posts