870 Turkey Barrel

RoyalPrudent

I'm looking to change an 870 12 gauge 3", to a turkey gun, but the current barrel on it is too long. Anyone have any experience with 870 replacement turkey barrels and have a recommendation?

I'd greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:

Levee Jumper

I'm looking to change an 870 to a turkey gun, but the current barrel on it is too long. Anyone have any experience with 870 replacement turkey barrels and have a recommendation?

I'd greatly appreciate it.
IMO, unless you just really want a project, don't drink the kool-aid and shoot it like it is. Short barrels aren't the cause of the declining turkey population lol.

RoyalPrudent

IMO, unless you just really want a project, don't drink the kool-aid and shoot it like it is. Short barrels aren't the cause of the declining turkey population lol.
It's a 30 inch barrel and hangs up on brush sometimes and in a blind to. Shorter barrel would simply be easier to swing in brush and blind.

Levee Jumper

It's a 30 inch barrel and hangs up on brush sometimes and in a blind to. Shorter barrel would simply be easier to swing in brush and blind.
I get it, yeah 30" is a pretty good ways out there lol. Of course there have been truckloads killed with 30" fixed full Wingmaster 870's.

Dan Boone

I have an 23" 870 with a Rhino choke that throws an extremely tight pattern. The downside to that is that it is very easy to miss at close ranges. I speak from experience.

Jbird22

Steve Rose at Rose Action Sports in Fairview KY has cut and re-threaded over 1300 barrels. Does excellent work. Charges $125 to do it and ship it back
He quoted me $145 for an 870 20 ga barrel in early January.

TNlandowner

I have a factory Rem 870 turkey barrel sitting on the shelf. I bought it directly from Remington, patterned it against the barrel that came with the shotgun.... It had a wider pattern with the same choke. I could have experimented to find a better matching choke, but simply put away and never shot it again.

Having your current barrel modified could be a good option as JBird mentioned.