800 ft down

Pilchard

Ever get into any queen snapper doing that? I'd love to do that someday!
Not on that side of the Gulf Stream. They are there but not as common as other species like yellow eye snapper, black snapper, b-liners, various groupers, etc.

I fished one summer as a mate on a commercial boat in the gulf and we caught a few tons on queen snapper although the commercial guys called them ball-bat snappers. We also caught a lot of other cool species.

All of which were great table fare. Anything that lives that far below the surface seems to be delicious.

Last edited:

Union Co. Boy

Not on that side of the Gulf Stream. They are there but not as common as other species like yellow eye snapper, black snapper, b-liners, various groupers, etc.

I fished one summer as a mate one a commercial boat in the gulf and we caught a few tons on queen snapper although the commercial guys called them ball-bat snappers. We also caught a lot of other cool species.

All of which were great table fare. Anything that lives that far below the surface seems to be delicious.
That's what I've heard! I've had Tile, but would love to try some snowy grouper, queen, and yellow eye. I can't get enough saltwater fishing. I only get to go on one 11 hour 16-20 man charter trip a year, but I have a blast every time! Can't imagine hand reeling a big AJ from that kind of depth! They wear me out 150 ft and up! Lol. Thanks for the post. Great stuff.

megalomaniac

Legit! Eyes popping out, you already puncture his air bladder?

That's the only thing that kinda grosses me out about bringing fish up from over a couple hundred feet down