75gr AMAX ? (.224)

Thanks, I'm using Varget with my 70gr TSX and that will be my starting point for the 75 gr A-max. I plan on using them for my coyote loads if they shoot good, I'll save the TSX for deer, too expensive! I may have to try a hotter powder if I have a compression problem at magazine length.

vonb

Cull Buck,
You CANNOT load the 75 gr AMAX to magazine length in an AR. This is not due to length but due to the fact that the ogive is not .224 when pushed in at mag. length....I.E. The brass will not hold the bullet due to smaller diameter of the ogive at that length.

Call Hornady on this if you want more information...I recommend loading to no shorter than 2.390 or setback will occur.

That sucks, my the AR is the only 223Rem I have. I may have to send the bullets back or buy a gun to go with them, don't want to waste a box of good bullets. Thanks for the information, you learn something everyday if your willing to listen.

vonb

I just didn't want to see you mess up your AR or worse, your face...The Sierra 69gr Match and Hornady 68gr Match as well as the 75 and 77 gr Match bullets will allow for mag. length seating....The 75gr AMAX is another beast and is best served in bolt-actions provided you are OK with single loading in an AR.

I load th 70gr TSX ad Speer RN in the AR, I was just looking for a good explosive coyote round in the 70gr range. The 1 in 8 barrel really shows a preference for heavy bullets. Dont get me wrong the 55gr bullets will shoot 1moa, but the heavy bullets will get near .5moa on a regular basis.
The TSX are expensive, the RN are for closeup and have a lower BC. I need a good heavy hunting bullet that I can afford to shoot in the AR.

vonb

I would think your choices are Hornady 68 BTHP Math, Hornady 75 gr BTHP Match, Sierra 69gr or 77gr MatchKing. These aren't really designed as hunting bullets but will work for something like coyote. you might be better off looking into Bergers (provided they load to mag. length - I have no experience with them) or the Winchester 64gr PowerPoints.

I might just bite the bullet and pay for the Barnes TSX in 70gr, they shoot 2" groups at 300yds and how many coyotes am I going to shoot anyways. I can use the 55gr ball for plinking it will still shoot 1 moa, which is fine for target work. I don't expect to be shoting over 300yds anyways where I hunt. Those dang Barnes bullets are high , but man do they shoot good in my guns. I have never had a TSX that would not shoot really good in anything I own, the old X bullets are a different story.

Latest posts