6.5 Creedmoor results

MUP

Took the Savage Axis 6.5 Creedmoor out to to test some handloads yesterday. I was using IMR 4451 and 140 gr NBTs, CCI LR primers and Hornady once fired brass. Extreme top left was the first group with 39.3 gr. Made a height adjustment then moved top right with 39.6 gr. Moved to the center dot, after another minor adjustment, with 39.9 gr. Lower left was 40.1 gr, and the bottom right was with factory Hornady Match 140 gr ammo.

Attachments

• IMG_20200530_121117264.jpg
    IMG_20200530_121117264.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,021

fairchaser

Often, 3 shot groups will give a false reading but I like the #3 group. Although at longer distances it might open up. I think you are on the right track with that load. It might just need a little tweaking with seating depths. It's hard to beat one hole groups.

MUP

It's a pencil barrel, and even with my 300 WSM (same contour) I can only get 3 shots in succession before the barrel heats up and the 4th and 5th shots fly wide. It's a heat issue that keeps me shooting 3 shot groups, and the thought that I'll never, or should never, have to shoot 3 times to kill an animal. ;)

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
MUP":1qymtnvi said:
I'm experiencing some secondary results from the Creedmoor as well, that I'm getting the starting of a man bun where my bald spot used to be... :shock:
:rotf: I was refraining from saying anything.

I thought that you even used the word "bro" in a text the other day! I'm sure that a flat brimmed hat hat will help to cover that little man bun :tu:

A

Anonymous

Next, you will be trying on some "Jeggings".. :poke:

I'm with above, I like #3. Good job.

Just curious, is that an Axis II S.S,?

DaveB

Try the interweb trick of cutting 3/4 and then another 1/4 until you get a decent feel, mine was 1 1/4 coil. I did it without ruining anything, major miracle.

The 7-08 Axis I own felt like 10 pounds but the coil cut fixed it right up.

A Boyds laminate stock got rid of the flex. FYI the same stock for the 7-08 fit the 223, and the 6.5. I love it.

Over at the Bench a member milled a channel in the forearm and glued in place a steel rod (rebar?) to get rid of the factory flex.

If it goes south I have a backup no prob.

DaveB

Steve thats the Axis 6.5 results at 600 yards? Man that is outstanding. I guess I better knuckle down I clearly have a lot of work to do.

Latest posts