4th of July Piebald Surprise!

Snake

I see no reason to shoot a piebald just because it's a piebald. If that particular deer has any of the negative genetic traits often associated with piebaldism, Nature will take care of it.
I have an eight point piebald mounted . Thing is I didn't know he was a piebald until after I went up to him after I shot him . If he had of kept quite I wouldn't have even known he was around . He just kept blowing because I assumed he caught a glimpse of me wind was right , I was silhouetted against the top of the ridge . But I zoomed in on the sound and finally seen him. It really was thick in there where he was. But I picked not my best place for a shot right between the shoulders and shot . Dropped in his tracks. He was one of the shortest legged bucks I've ever shot . Aged 2 1/2 but kinda dwarfed . Made a pretty mount though .

Ski

Super cool! I was guessing 3.5 before scrolling down and seeing the pics of him younger. He has decent mass for a 3.5yo, maybe he will make it!

Yeah for that property he's surprisingly big for a 3.5yr old. The only buck around that's bigger, that I know of, is a 5.5yr old and he's only marginally bigger. The other 3.5yr olds on the place aren't nearly as big or as developed at this stage of growth.

I'd love to see him as a 4 or 5 year old but really would be surprised if he makes it past the velvet hunt. And I couldn't blame anybody for shooting him. Heck if he walked under me during the velvet hunt I'd probably have to chew my own hand off to keep from pulling the bow, so I totally understand if somebody gets him. I told the wife if I shoot him in velvet I promise he won't be another head on the wall ........ because he'll be a full body mount!!! I was kinda half joking as I do think I'll pass on him this year. But the more I weigh it out in my head the more tempting it becomes.

Ski

I have an eight point piebald mounted . Thing is I didn't know he was a piebald until after I went up to him after I shot him . If he had of kept quite I wouldn't have even known he was around . He just kept blowing because I assumed he caught a glimpse of me wind was right , I was silhouetted against the top of the ridge . But I zoomed in on the sound and finally seen him. It really was thick in there where he was. But I picked not my best place for a shot right between the shoulders and shot . Dropped in his tracks. He was one of the shortest legged bucks I've ever shot . Aged 2 1/2 but kinda dwarfed . Made a pretty mount though .

I'd love to see that!

Snake

Attachments

• 20211012_164648.jpg
    20211012_164648.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 48

JAY B

That's about how mine looked ! He's pretty though . Is this one on your new place Jason ?
No, its at a buddys place in Roane county, he has been camera 4 years now , 1.5 spike, 2.5 8pt, 3.5 9 pt, and looks like he will turn out a 10 pt this year after catching a glimpse of him a few days ago

Latest posts