45/70 conversion....more and more common?

JCS

Well I have always bow hunted thru mzl season and have decided to finally get one..it seems a slew of people are shooting smokeless and I am very green on the topic...so my options are stock savage or 45/70 conversion...what are the steps involved? Any and all help much appreciated

mike243

Either find a savage rifle,there are a few new still around,or have a 45/70 machined for a savage plug, I wont never go back to a smoke pole lol

TN Larry

That is basically true. You can buy a custom smokeless barrel and put on a Remington 700 mzl action. You are looking at some serious money for that. However, they are some serious shooters in the right hands.

I went to an Encore 45/70 conversion this year and love it. That is an expensive route if you don't have an Encore already. A lot of people convert a CVA Apex. They are nice. My bnl has one. He sold his savage and went to a conversion as soon as he saw mine. . You can also convert an H&R and there is another cheaper CVA, Scout I think. Checkout the smokeless forum here. I am a rookie myself but have read a lot about it here and on Doug's message board which is a place you definitely need to check out.

Good luck. There are quite a few guys on here now that have conversions.

Roost 1

UTGrad said:
Are these "conversions" potentially dangerous? Seems like a possible risk just to shoot smokeless powder for two weeks out of the season.
That's why you must use the center fire barrel. It can withstand more pressure where as a regular bp barrel can't... You must do your homework. Doug's message board has all the info you need..

Deer Assassin

with my nef conversion i have killed 292 yds this year several over 100 and my wife killed her first buck at 224 yds

buy a savage smokless

or

get a break action single shot 45/70 rifle

nef/h&r
tc
cva apex

buy a 40 dollar savage breech plug
send it to slurfoot Robert young and for less than 100 he will do machine work

Winchester

Deer Assassin said:
UTGrad said:
Are these "conversions" potentially dangerous? Seems like a possible risk just to shoot smokeless powder for two weeks out of the season.

what is dangerous

centerfire rifle bbl
Exactly, no more dangerous than any centerfire rifle you shoot.
Smokeless MZ's will perform much better than the ol smokepoles.

landman

Or just buy a TC Pro Hunter and use pelts, learn you gun
Good optics, I've killed Bull Elk 180yds, yes the trigger
could use some work but that's easy to get done.

landman

landman said:
Or just buy a TC Pro Hunter and use pelts, learn you gun
Good optics, I've killed Bull Elk 180yds, yes the trigger
could use some work but that's easy to get done.

That should have read pellets instead of pelts

Latest posts