4.5?

easy45

I think this guy is 4.5, his antlers is subpar for his age for around here but his age makes him a shooter for me.

2011-12-16104557.jpg

catman529

because of BSK's guide to field age guessing, I didn't even see the antlers when I first looked at the pic. I have been trained to look at the body, and I think it helps... BSK, would you say he's 4.5? That would be my guess too, he almost looks older from that angle, except there isn't much sag in the middle like an older buck, am I right? I know it's an art form and not a science...

BSK

Yes, I would say 4 1/2 due to the visual impression of short front legs (chest is so deep that it makes his legs look abnormally short).

catman529

Yeah I learned that from you too. I saw the neck and the legs, especially the front legs and the rest of the body and figgered it was around 4.5. I think I am getting the hang of this aging thing

BSK

catman529 said:
Yeah I learned that from you too. I saw the neck and the legs, especially the front legs and the rest of the body and figgered it was around 4.5. I think I am getting the hang of this aging thing

That's the best thing about trail-cameras. They give you many more opportunities to learn field-judging. Plus, you can look at a picture for a lot longer than a live buck in the field!

catman529

BSK said:
catman529 said:

That's the best thing about trail-cameras. They give you many more opportunities to learn field-judging. Plus, you can look at a picture for a lot longer than a live buck in the field!
ain't that right. By the time I see a buck hunting in the woods, I'm fidgeting with my gun, not studying his body structure... of course because I only have one deer under my belt and haven't yet narrowed down to hunting mature deer. I can feel it coming on though, I think by the end of next year I may be addicted to hunting that one old stud, who knows, we'll see..

BSK

catman529 said:
BSK said:
catman529 said:

ain't that right. By the time I see a buck hunting in the woods, I'm fidgeting with my gun, not studying his body structure... of course because I only have one deer under my belt and haven't yet narrowed down to hunting mature deer.

Heck, I've got a ton of bucks under my belt, including some mature ones, and I'm still fidgeting with my gun the instant I see a shooter! That and trying not to hyperventilate and have my heart jump out of my chest... ;)

Latest posts