3D shoots

AlexDad

I just recently got into 3D about May of last year and my experience is pretty much limited to Old Hickory Lake Bowmens Club - but here's my take:

1) It's probably nothing like what you think it is. The people are so nice and some are funny and entertaining. I don't think I've shot with anyone twice yet but I've thoroughly enjoyed everyone I've shot with and have become friends with them. I see a lot of them at subsequent shoots and I'm finishing as they show up and vice versa and we talk and shoot the breeze.

2) Your skill level DOES NOT MATTER. I'm mediocre at best and only the second best shot in my own house. I've been grouped with people that maybe bought a bow on their way there and Chance Beauboef. I had a blast either way and either helped and taught people or learned a LOT myself. No matter how good or bad you are there will be many worse than you and many better than you, but it doesn't matter because everyone just has a good time.

3) Your equipment doesn't matter. Great place to hang and try releases from other people that shops don't carry, etc. It's just not a pretentious, snobby environment.

It's so doggone fun! I'm addicted!

TNDeerGuy

AlexDad summed it up very well and is spot on!

The absolute biggest misconception I constantly run into is people thinking it is this big, hyped event with professionals and people that have been shooting for years—they totally over-think it and completely misjudge it. Sure, there are those people out there, but there are people of all ages and skill levels out there is well—the neat thing is if you huddled everyone together, in a group, you would have a very hard time picking out the novice from the more experienced shooters. Another cool thing about it is, while we all shoot together different segments want to gain different things out of it. Some are there for the competitive side of it, some for the friendship side, some for the hunting preparation side, some for the technical side and some for a bit of it all and what's great is that you can have one person from each segment in the same group and everyone will have a blast—it's really that simple.

What do you need to know? Where to aim on the target is the most difficult and how to score arrows in the target is the second hardest (and neither is that hard...LOL, but there are nuances to pick up and learn). As far as where to aim, that is where a good pair of binoculars come into play. Seeing the rings and then picking out references such as other arrows, shadows, spots or imperfections on the target itself is what we use to gauge where we need to aim. What sucks is a dark target, in a dark tunnel and your the first one up....LOL—target familiarity and shooting a kill shot is what gets you by there (and then returning the favor and chuckling at your buddies when they get that later). On Delta/McKenzie targets, you typically can draw a straight line up the back of the leg and in the center of the body and you'll find the center of the 10-ring. Some targets like the boar, havelina the 10-ring is slightly further back—did I mention the need for binoculars? ;)

So, what should you bring? Here ya go: bow, some arrows, a rangefinder and binoculars—just like if you were going hunting....imagine that! :) If you really want to go all out: add a stool, an umbrella, bug spray, snacks, water bottle and a tool kit. Most of us that have been in the game awhile bring all that I listed, but at the core what you would bring if you were going hunting would be fine!

I would love to see more people get involved into 3D, not only for the friendship with like minded people aspect, but also because of what you will gain—it will make you a much, much better archer and will help prepare you for situations you may run into in the woods. Sure, it's foam and it doesn't move, but there is pressure from competition, inner or external, and also situational pressure (like putting the target up next to a tree where the rings are right beside it). Shooting a live deer only requires you to be soccer-ball size accurate truthfully, shooting 3D requires golf-ball size accuracy if you want to be near the top of the class, if you choose to compete. The getting used to aiming small, dealing with the internal/external pressures, the repetitive shooting it requires that yields consistency and being around that much experience will make and force you to be a better archer.

Hope this answers some questions and if you have more, feel free to ask!

Latest posts