338-06 loads/rifles

markwondi

2-Step Enabled
Anyone hunt with or shoot a 338-06? I have a Borden Timberline action that I'm leaning towards building a 338-06 with, probably with a lightweight #1 or #2 contour barrel.

What loads have you developed? The 210gr ttsx and 225gr accubond would probably be my go-to bullet for this rifle.

451LRML

No, -06, but I have a highly modified custom 338-284 with a lightweight barrel that shoots wonderful. I was surprised that it shot 180gr Ballistic Tips the best of any other bullet I tried. This gun was built years ago - long before the short action cartridge craze and sad to say I have not shot it in years.
If you're thinking of a lighter barrel, you may also want to consider a short action as well - the 338 RCM might be something to think about..
Also, if you like the older loads, a friend of mine has a nice article in the 2018 Gun Digest on the .400 Whelen which is based off the -06 case.
Good luck and keep us posted.

WGK

good luck with your build. I have really become intrigued with the 338-06 maybe down the road. Be sure and post up some pics when you get it finished.

markwondi

2-Step Enabled
451LRML":2v93yho1 said:
No, -06, but I have a highly modified custom 338-284 with a lightweight barrel that shoots wonderful. I was surprised that it shot 180gr Ballistic Tips the best of any other bullet I tried. This gun was built years ago - long before the short action cartridge craze and sad to say I have not shot it in years.
If you're thinking of a lighter barrel, you may also want to consider a short action as well - the 338 RCM might be something to think about..
Also, if you like the older loads, a friend of mine has a nice article in the 2018 Gun Digest on the .400 Whelen which is based off the -06 case.
Good luck and keep us posted.
338-224, that's definitely an interesting cartridge. 284 based cartridges usually are very easy to load for, so I bet you really do have a hammer.

I already have the Timberline (long action) action, so I'll be staying with it. Besides, I already have many short action cartridges so looking for something a little different.

mr.big

Daddy has a Cooper Model 52 338-06 he bought to take west on an elk hunt and killed a nice 5x5 one year and a fat cow the next with the 250 Accubond,,I will have to confirm the load with him but I think he was shooting H414..

he said it dropped them both like hit by lightning