.325 FTX in sock Savage barrel

TX300mag

Anybody have any experience with these? I really like Barnes Original 300, but can't find them. I really have to have a .458 for this barrel.

I like n120 and have an unopened can, but I also think I have sone reloaded 77 around somewhere. Where would I start with the n120? Black sabots?

holstonangler

Yes, I've used them for years and have never lost a deer and they've always shoot good groups. I'm using 63 grain of reloder 7 behind it, along with orange mmp sabots, I switched to barnes originals to ease recoil a tad, but havent noticed any difference in performance.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
As a matter of fact… last night I shot a doe with 59gr RL7, orange MMP, 325 FTX. 10yd. I'd say that it did its job. Those who think MLs don't leave bloodtrails are using the wrong setup, and usually the wrong bullet.

Entry wound
IMG_2593.jpeg

Exit wound
IMG_2595.jpeg

IMG_2598.jpeg

Second one is with shoulder removed. You can see where it actually "exited" twice, with the second being through the leg. Nice blood trail. Ran 25yd and cartwheeled.

I have shot up to 63gr of powder, but I didn't like the recoil even though the groups were tightening up. I love that bullet

TX300mag

As a matter of fact… last night I shot a doe with 59gr RL7, orange MMP, 325 FTX. 10yd. I'd say that it did its job. Those who think MLs don't leave bloodtrails are using the wrong setup, and usually the wrong bullet.

Entry wound
View attachment 201873

Exit wound
View attachment 201874
View attachment 201875
Second one is with shoulder removed. You can see where it actually "exited" twice, with the second being through the leg. Nice blood trail. Ran 25yd and cartwheeled.

I have shot up to 63gr of powder, but I didn't like the recoil even though the groups were tightening up. I love that bullet

Thank you, EastTnHunter. What would you consider a safe range for 59g? Do you happen to know speed?

TX300mag

Yes, I've used them for years and have never lost a deer and they've always shoot good groups. I'm using 63 grain of reloder 7 behind it, along with orange mmp sabots, I switched to barnes originals to ease recoil a tad, but havent noticed any difference in performance.

Thank you Holstein angler. Ordering sone today.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Thank you, EastTnHunter. What would you consider a safe range for 59g? Do you happen to know speed?
I hastily developed this load a couple of years back and didn't take great notes, unfortunately. If I recall correctly it closely replicated the factory 45/70 load from Hornady. If you look at their ballistics chart for that load you should get a good feel for it. I don't really intend to shoot past 100yd with it, but I wish that I had that drop figured out right now due to some opportunities for longer shots in some spots that a S wind that we have had lately would be good for

TX300mag

I hastily developed this load a couple of years back and didn't take great notes, unfortunately. If I recall correctly it closely replicated the factory 45/70 load from Hornady. If you look at their ballistics chart for that load you should get a good feel for it. I don't really intend to shoot past 100yd with it, but I wish that I had that drop figured out right now due to some opportunities for longer shots in some spots that a S wind that we have had lately would be good for

Thanks!

Latest posts