30-06 load for East Tn black bear.

Nsghunter

I am looking to hunt black bear in CNF this October.

I'm not sure what bullet construction to use. I think I want 180gr with a cxp3 style expansion. Problem is I really don't know which bullet that would be. I was think partitions but they are supposedly a little harder/slower to expand than the bullet I want. Black bear can run fast and 2nd shots are supposedly rare, the fatty tissue supposedly leaves little in regards to a blood trail and let's not forget they may even chase me down. I was hoping for a bullet that may penetrate more effectively in hopes to stop them quickly or break bones that the shot may encounter.they are supposed to be tough.

Please no flaming if I'm wrong I'm wrong but I'm new to this. I prefered to try to handload the rounds but I may just go with box ammo.

Most of the bear are around or below the 300 lb raring but some are larger. The bigger ones are the ones are the reason I thought partition.

348Winchester

A round nose bullet with plenty of lead exposed would be ideal. There is absolutely no need to lay out the extra money for a premium bullet. Hornady and Sierra both make a good round nose 180 grain bullet in .308 diameter. My 270 has done wonders on several bears with the base factory loaded Federal 150 grain round nose. Another bear was taken with my 30-30 and 150 grain silvertips. The only one I killed with a handload was a 45-70 with a 405 grain soft point over 47.2 grains of Reloader-7. It did the job nicely.

Nsghunter

348Winchester":1t4mcslz said:
A round nose bullet with plenty of lead exposed would be ideal. There is absolutely no need to lay out the extra money for a premium bullet. Hornady and Sierra both make a good round nose 180 grain bullet in .308 diameter. My 270 has done wonders on several bears with the base factory loaded Federal 150 grain round nose. Another bear was taken with my 30-30 and 150 grain silvertips. The only one I killed with a handload was a 45-70 with a 405 grain soft point over 47.2 grains of Reloader-7. It did the job nicely.

I am curious why a round nose would be more effective than a spitzer?

Latest posts