• Help Support TNDeer:

3 months until a duodecennial….

IMG_1799.jpeg

Well, it appears my creamie ice cream maker thingy is a miracle maker.

Saturday I had a heck of a workout. Gym was full of upper body volume/super sets along with some lunges.
Then I hit the trail with my pack. 40lb ruck with 700' plus elevation gain, 50 mins to get to the top (1.5+ miles). We stopped to swim in the icey water before turning back.

It felt great to put the pack on and even better knowing the hike didn't kill me.

So what's the secret to life you might ask? A wise monk once told me "get creamie and make ice cream, haters will hate but you'll be mountain strong".

IMG_5789.jpeg

Well, it appears my creamie ice cream maker thingy is a miracle maker.

Saturday I had a heck of a workout. Gym was full of upper body volume/super sets along with some lunges.
Then I hit the trail with my pack. 40lb ruck with 700' plus elevation gain, 50 mins to get to the top (1.5+ miles). We stopped to swim in the icey water before turning back.

It felt great to put the pack on and even better knowing the hike didn't kill me.

So what's the secret to life you might ask? A wise monk once told me "get creamie and make ice cream, haters will hate but you'll be mountain strong".

View attachment 234077
This is probably a dumb question, but I haven't gotten to dip my toes into the elk hunting world yet, so forgive my ignorance. Is the 40 lb ruck just for exercise and to build strength, or is that approximately what your pack will weigh while you're hunting? And if that's the case, what all is in it? Or is that just prep for packing an elk out if you are fortunate enough to kill one?

This is probably a dumb question, but I haven't gotten to dip my toes into the elk hunting world yet, so forgive my ignorance. Is the 40 lb ruck just for exercise and to build strength, or is that approximately what your pack will weigh while you're hunting? And if that's the case, what all is in it? Or is that just prep for packing an elk out if you are fortunate enough to kill one?
It really depends. If you are day hunting, your pack will probably be lighter than 40 lbs but if you are backpacking in then your pack weight depends on how long you will be in. It is mainly a way to exercise and get used to weight on your back when hiking. This helps when you are moving around with a backpack and weapon and also packing the animal out if you do kill one. For an elk, the pack out weight will probably be closer to 90-100 lbs on the trips out.

Good Question.
It really depends. If you are day hunting, your pack will probably be lighter than 40 lbs but if you are backpacking in then your pack weight depends on how long you will be in. It is mainly a way to exercise and get used to weight on your back when hiking. This helps when you are moving around with a backpack and weapon and also packing the animal out if you do kill one. For an elk, the pack out weight will probably be closer to 90-100 lbs on the trips out.
Good answer.

The only thing I'd change is the 90-100 lb pack outs. I'm in my mid 50's with arthritis in my left hip. My pack out weights will probably be closer to 60 pounds. We'll just have to take more trips. More weight would put me out of commission for a couple days and we have 2 tags to fill. After packing out the first elk, We have to get up the next morning and keep hunting.

I've never actually weighed anything on any hunts or backpacking trips, but my day pack will consist of:

1. Kuiu Pro Pack, 2300 bag
2. 2 liter water bladder - full, water
3. Nalgene bottle - full, electrolyte drink
4. water filter
5. rain jacket - Marmot Precip
6. crapload of snacks
7. titanium esbit stove, fuel, titanium cup
8. lunch - sandwiches, cheese ramen, tuna packets, instant coffee packs
9. kill kit - knife, paracord, game bags, contractor garbage bag
10. medical kit
11. Puffy jacket
12. TP

I'm sure I'm leaving things off this quick list. I'll also have a full Sitka Thunderhead rain outfit in camp if more than just showers are expected.

Last edited:
I agree with Coltens and disagree with BB. He thinks he is getting away with 60lbs, I'll just lie and say "yep, that hind quarter is about 60lbs". 😛
Also, don't let him bs you. We once went in 6 miles with full camp for a couple days, he killed a deer on the way in, so we ended up packing that deer out with our full camp, at dark. Still, going downhill on Kodiak was way more brutal, imo.

Weighted pack training/rucking has a metric ton of benefits. Not just for hunting but life in general. There is science involved on why I should use 40lbs to train with but reality is a bag of rock salt weighs 40lbs and fits perfectly in my load shelf.
I'll up the weight a couple times to make sure everything is ok. Bag adjustments, making sure I don't have hot spots on shoulders or back, etc.

My day hunting bag will be way under 40lbs at the start. Unless I pick up antlers, wood, rocks, etc. I have a bad habit of collecting cool stuff in the woods, well at least I think it's cool.

Here is a video of me standing up with an elk quarter. We didn't have far to go, maybe a mile tops, I can't remember but it was straight up hill and very hot out. So I didn't take the time to remove the leg below the shank. I'd guess and say this quarter was easily 80lbs.
You'll hear me say "Turkish get up". That is another phenomenal exercise with a kettle bell. Helps build true functional strength, which is the name of the game with rucking.

Last edited:
I started elk hunting at 56 years of age. Public and bow only.
Colorada and tent camping at 9300 doing daily remotes to 11,300.
I had ZERO OTC elk experience. We went the day before opener towards Kremling Colorado not far from Steamboat Springs.

We drove straight through from Chattanooga. 25 hours.

My Dr. buddy told me to sit in camp 3 days. Walk around very little and acclimate. I listened. I did no prep work to prepare before going.

At 8500 feet on the drive in I thought I was having a heart attack. In camp, NOBODY could complete a sentence without a few deep breaths mixed in.

By day three, the headaches, nose bleeds and shortness of breath were gone.

I hunted hard, had a great time, and never saw or heard and elk.

I went back to Co. two more time before connecting with a Cow Elk.

Went to Wyoming near Casper once and saw MANY bulls but only had a cow tag.

And by Gods grace, drew a Tennessee Elk tag to finally kill a big bull.

Great experience but honestly to be successful, you need to be single or live closer to the West to hunt Elk. It is tough to stay with the herd.

Mule deer is the way to go!

Ok, I'm taking the leap and becoming an influencer, a bonafide content creator!
Against the advice of my so called "friend" aka BB, aka Buzzard Breath, aka dream crusher, I'm going all in🤣

I'll be compiling scouting videos. Here is the first one. The first leg of my trip yesterday was sorta a surprise.

Ok, I'm taking the leap and becoming an influencer, a bonafide content creator!
Against the advice of my so called "friend" aka BB, aka Buzzard Breath, aka dream crusher, I'm going all in🤣

I'll be compiling scouting videos. Here is the first one. The first leg of my trip yesterday was sorta a surprise.

Glad you found me a buck. 😁

Btw, need to improve your personality to be an influencer nowadays. Kind of a dry presentation. 😂

I guess I need to add something productive. I've been shooting. A lot. 20-60 are dialed in. I'll get 70 down in the morning. Then I'll start matching up sight tapes and get it put on. I'm feeling good about my shooting right now.
20240712_183417-COLLAGE.jpg

Glad you found me a buck. 😁

Btw, need to improve your personality to be an influencer nowadays. Kind of a dry presentation. 😂
Since you are my only paid patreon on YouTube I'll share the private video with the public.
Truth be known folks, this was a scouting trip for @fulldraw.

@fulldraws goat

Since you are my only paid patreon on YouTube I'll share the private video with the public.
Truth be known folks, this was a scouting trip for @fulldraw.

@fulldraws goat

Now that's what I'm talking about!

Seriously, you really need a job to keep you busy. Too much time on your hands, Mr. Mom. 😉🤣😘

I think, we just officially became a team. A fourth member was added today. He'd been considering it for the last month, or so, but threw his hat in today and joined our group text. I'm going to step aside and let him out himself, if he wishes. But, seeing that he specializes in geriatric nursing, he's got a lot to offer this old man. He wants to hunt with us to "learn" how the experts do it.
1992.gif

Back