3.5 or older?

TN hunter

Hey fellas. Just wanting to get some opinions on the possible age of this buck. He looks to 3.5 to me. His chest doesn't seem to be very deep with no sway in his back. However, one could argue that point because of the way he is standing. Just want to get some other opinions. Either way he is a great buck with a lot of potential.
2db756f8b847df8014f17b756a5e8544.jpg

944b9e4ba6c512504bcd7cb053b34c30.jpg

2c3d9538fb608d96795d75b0ed24ad5c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Planking

Looking at that picture of him facing his brisket and legs really convince me to say 3.5. Its hard not to look at his rack though.

TheLBLman

Planking":3rptwcah said:
Looking at that picture of him facing his brisket and legs really convince me to say 3.5. Its hard not to look at his rack though.
Actually, I was not looking at the rack, although your post here demonstrates maybe I should have been paying more attention to the rack :)

Regarding the 3rd picture, where the buck on the left is much lighter in color than the buck on the right,
I actually thought these two bucks had traded places, since the buck on the left is so much darker in the first two pics.
But by noting the rack, it is obviously the same buck on the left in all three pics.

I do agree this buck looks younger (like 3 1/2 or older) in the bottom pic.
But looks more like 4 1/2 or older in the first two pics.

I still think he's more likely to be 4 1/2 than 3 1/2.

Keep in mind during the summer months, a 4 1/2 will not look as filled out, not as developed, not anything like they appear in November. The differences between 3 1/2's & 4 1/2's can be very subtle and very little during the summer. Truth is, a summertime 4 1/2 is actually only "4", although is correctly "referred" to as being in the 4 1/2 age class.

TheLBLman

Will also add, bucks are more often a year older than they look, than a year younger.

In the absence of other history and pictures of this buck,
my best "guess" remains he is 4 1/2 (or older),
but also believe he's about as likely to be 5 1/2 as 3 1/2.

Andy S.":1cvd5vm0 said:
wobblegobble":1cvd5vm0 said:
....a 4.5 and 3.5 look way different
Not in the summer.
Exactly.
Usually at least mid-October before their differences approach being significant,
and often remain subtle.

JCDEERMAN

I believe there will be a lot of impressive younger deer (2.5's) with impressive racks killed during this upcoming August hunt due to it being so hard to age this time of year. It further compliments LBLman's theory of high-grading. I am just hoping to have enough good pics of bucks on our farm to study before an opportunity potentially presents itself on the August hunt. That will provide a good educated guess before a split second decision.

TheLBLman

JCDEERMAN":1e958fs6 said:
I believe there will be a lot of impressive younger deer (2.5's) with impressive racks killed during this upcoming August hunt due to it being so hard to age this time of year. It further compliments LBLman's theory of high-grading.
Ha! :mrgreen:
My "theory" has now become a "Law" :tu:

The hunters' antler high-grading will truly have a more significant impact during this summertime "velvet" hunt.
Not just because bucks are harder to age during summer,
but maybe as much because antlers "appears" so much, so much, larger on top-end 2 1/2 & 3 1/2-yr-olds in "velvet".

Add to this the "novelty" of hunters taking a "velvet" buck
whereby perhaps most will lower their standards compared to what they had in their recent past.
"Shooter" buck standards had been on an upward trajectory, until now, reversed.

I suspect the majority of the velvet bucks killed will be above-average antlered 2 1/2's,
bucks many of these same hunters would in fact give a pass if they weren't in velvet.

Ironically, most of those who kill may end up just peeling off that velvet anyway due to the impracticality of preserving it.