243 coming along

mr.big

its bbl is 28 inches long to start with,,,also had my smith cut the chamber real tight with a long throat to seat the 105s with none of the fat part of bullet below the neck shoulder junction so the bullet isnt eating any powder space,,the oal is 2.885 with a .015 jump to the lands,,

it is setup as a single shot and we did everything possible to get all we could from the heavy bullets,,

Jcalder

I'm guessing the longer barrel helps with a tight chamber. I don't know how tight my chamber is but I do know I can't seat some bullets out to book length.

Big or small, kill em all

mr.big

SAAMI specs have a +/- tol,,the reamer we used is for the absolute minimum SAAMI specs but with the throat cut long enough to seat the bullets out to 2.900 inches,,if the throat was cut to seat the 105s at 2.700 the bullet would take up around 2 grs of powder space,

mr.big

this bbl was my first BRDX and was 28 inches,,I put a little over 2,000 rounds on it and couldnt reach the lands with the 105s,it still shot good but it wasnt match type good,,had 3/4ths of an inch cut off and chambered in 243 with long throat to see how fast it would go and get a feel for it before buying a new bbl,,if I was doing this with new stuff I would for sure get a 30 inch and would probably get a 32 so when I needed to set it back I would still have 30 inches,,
in a 32 inch I would expect the 105s to be in the 3300 range but would maybe run it at 3200 with lower charges and pressure so it would last longer,,

Latest posts