220 swift shooters

dmonty

Any 220 swift shooters? If so what cartridge family are these from? Is a custom Mauser action rifle with a 26 inch target type barrel worth 370.00. Rifle appears to be in very good condition.

Jcalder

That's the action you want.

To your original question they are fast. The parent case is a 6mm navy something something. My old boss has one I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveB

Supposedly wears out a bore-Nosler has numbers from 3500 to 4800 FPS depending on bullet and charge.

They are also supposed to be very accurate.

I don't know how to tell if a bore is shot out. Need a gunsmith for that.

Lost Lake

My understanding is that the Swift is simply the 6mm Remington ( itself the 7 mm mauser necked to .243) necked to .22 caliber. I was torn between it and the 22/250 when looking for a hot .22, and chose the latter.

The only difference is about 150 fps and the 22/250 will fit in a true short action.

mr.big

the 220 Swift is actually the old 6mm Lee Navy semi rimmed case necked down to 22 cal,it isnt anywhere near as big a case as the 6mm Rem,,it is a very good round,,Sierra actually uses it to test their bullets with in a tunnel,,

there were several K98 actions,,if it is the Brno VZ24 it will handle just about anything,,some of the others can be suspect and would need checked out before I would buy it,,
if the stock looked good and it has an aftermarket trigger with a safety besides the one on the bolt and the bbl isnt pitted inside from long term storage it should be worth that kinda money,,if the bbl looks like it has hair growing out of the bore it is probably gonna have to be replaced and would effect $$

Hunter 257W

Yep, Mr. Big is 100% right about the Swift being based on the 6mm Lee Navy case. I've been a fan of the 22 center fires since the early 1970's but have never even seen a 6mm Lee Navy case in person so don't be surprised if you've never heard of it. I'd say it's certainly worth $370 because you can't hardly get any center fire rifle for that kind of money any more. I have a couple of Mauser 98 based rifles that I'm happy with. One is a Brno 98 action with a 270 barrel on it. I tried to get the military trigger to work but could never get the pull weight where I wanted it so ended up getting a Timney trigger. My other Mauser 98 is a single shot action rather than a surplus military action. It has a 6mm Remington barrel on it.

My 220 Swift is a Remington 700 varmint synthetic that I bought in the mid 1990's or thereabout. It was somewhat finicky to load for as I tried a lot of loads before finding one that would shoot substantially under 1 moa. Finally got lucky with the 53 grain Speer hollow point. The Swift had a bad reputation for burning out barrels but that seems to have been mainly because of the softer stels used in barrels back in the 1930's when it was introduced as a factory cartridge. I don't think it's going to wear a barrel any more than a 22-250 to be honest. You are probably wise to not go with the 40 or 45 grain bullets though just to get high numbers on the chronograph. I've always preffered something around 55 grains for 22 varmint rifles.

mr.big

the main deal with the factory trigger and safety is that when you mount a scope it doesnt leave enough room to flip the factory safety on/off,,

I have been thinking about a fast twist 22 in the Swift,22-250 22 BR class,,it would seem that the 80 gr SMK or AMax at 3200 fps or so would be a really fun caliber and wouldnt cost as much to shoot as the 6 and 6.5 mm`s ,that would take an 8 or 7.5 twist though and I would guess the older rifle your looking atwill be a 14 or maybe a 12 twist,,and like 257said above a 55 gr at 37-3800 will be like a lazer out a pretty good ways,,

a friend of mine has a Ruger 77V 220 Swift and it shoots the 55 Vmax with 4064 very very well

Hunter 257W

I found my favorite load for the Swift. 43.0 grains IMR 4350 52 grain Speer hollow point. I have one 17 shot group at 100 yards that measures .90 inches. Many 5 shot groups under .5 moa. I've noticed a lot more groundhog holes in my bean field this Winter than I realized last year when the beans were growing so the old Swift may get some use for it's original purpose in a few months.

Latest posts