20ga Longbeards #6 shot

TiminTN

We tried them in a 20 ga.Remington 870 youth, and was not as pleased as the 12 gauge version. Still prefer the Hevi 13 #7 or Federal Heavyweight #7. I am anxiously awaiting the Federal TSS #9. If the stars line up just right I`ll be handloading TSS soon. I`d hate to spend the money for handloading, if the Federals TSS shoot 20% better than last years heavier than lead. I`d be happy with factory fodder.

Plateau Hunter

Thanks for the info Tim; I have some on the way so will see how they shoot. Also have some Federal 3rd degree which seems like a good concept and at least has some tungsten shot in them

Mid-Tenn

Not the 6's but the 5's

I was in the process of setting up an entry level turkey gun (Stevens 320 Youth Compact with a Primos Tightwad choke) for my daughter when she decided that at this point hunting wasn't going to be her thing.

In the process I had purchased several brands, types and sizes of shotshells and found the Fed Heavyweight 2 3/4" #7's shot really well as did the Longbeard XR out of her gun.

I had intended on allowing her to use the Federals since perceived recoil seemed less. When she decided she didn't wan't to hunt I decided to use it since it was a lot lighter and kicked a lot less than my 835.
I carried it a couple of times and wound up harvesting two longbeards with it despite it having a short youth stock.

I'd like to try the TSS but for the money and availability of ammo I'll continue to use the Longbeards.

Latest posts