209 primers

backwoods7

Let's talk 209 primers, for the last couple of years I've been using standard winchester 209 primers(W209) I'm almost out of them, and academy didn't have any. In my bag of black powder stuff I had a unopened package of winchester 777 primers, have no clue where they came from. Question is are they good or should I find something else?

DaveB

Yep me too, same as Mr. MUP. To check yours out, its a two step procedure

1) Open the box, load one of your old ones up, (NO powder or bullet of course) and pull the trigger. Flame come out barrel pretty good?

2) Repeat with 777 primer. Same flame more or less?

No flame on 777, wet them down and toss them.

Same or better flame, we just saved you a shopping trip.

GMB54

Win T7 primers are no where near as hot as a regular Win209. Avoid them completely if using Blackhorn209 powder.

backwoods7

Tried hard to find some more regular win 209s with no luck! Every where has 777 and kleanbore but no winchester. I bought some kleanbore hopefully they are good enough

GMB54

backwoods7":3kxwxl4l said:
Tried hard to find some more regular win 209s with no luck! Every where has 777 and kleanbore but no winchester. I bought some kleanbore hopefully they are good enough

Not if you plan on using Blackhorn209 powder. They are fine for anything else.

Atchman2

I can never get the Winchester ones to work on my rifle! They cost me at least four deer in one year. The Remington ones have never failed me. I use two pellets of Triple 7 (( think). Anyway, hope you find some primers. There are TONS of Winchester Primers here in Knoxville; no Remington.

GMB54

Atchman2":2hbulwiq said:
I can never get the Winchester ones to work on my rifle! They cost me at least four deer in one year. The Remington ones have never failed me. I use two pellets of Triple 7 (( think). Anyway, hope you find some primers. There are TONS of Winchester Primers here in Knoxville; no Remington.

I cant imagine why that would be. Regular Win209s are hotter than any Remington primer. I use them a lot in my smokeless MLs without a single issue. They are all i use in my Knight rifles and they have never failed to ignite Blackhorn209. Pellets are far easier to ignite than any powder i use unless they have been contaminated. Its far more likely you had some bad, old or poorly stored pellets.

Try giving up pellets and make the move to loose Triple7. Its far more reliable and cheaper.

GMB54

Try igniting both T7 pellets and loose with #11 caps. T7 pellets are far more likely to miss fire with the milder ignition source. Pyro pellets have a black (igniter) end which is rumored to be real black powder so they will likely be easier to ignite than T7 pellets.

Smokeless and BH209 are even harder to ignite than T7 but ive never had a single problem with Win209s even shooting sabotless bullets that load easy. My most recent range session was with conicals and BH209. These conicals loaded over a veggie wad with 2 finger pressure. Ignition was flawless in my Knight and wonderfully accurate.

MUP

Interesting. I used #11 caps and Pyrodex for years with excellent ignition. The only misfire I ever had was on a damp rainy day when I had left the cap on the nipple for the entire morning, and had a nice buck come down the ridge....snap. :shock:

Latest posts