2023 Agenda

Ski

What's on your agenda for habitat season? Are you gona do anything new or different?

Big priority for me this year is creating a couple good openings to maintain for forbs. That and cover are the Achilles heal for my property of huge, overly mature hardwoods. I've got several plots and plenty nut & fruit trees. What lacks is cover & browse.

And if I can make it happen I want to add a porch to the cabin, re-roof it, hook a pump up to the well, and get a septic system installed. Would be nice to have a comfortable place to stay on site.

BSK

Experiment with summer food plots.

Backpack spray as much acreage as I can of my 3-year-old timber cuts to knock back the hardwood saplings. This will only end up being a small percentage of the timber-cut area, but I want to turn as much of that acreage as I can into permanent early-stage regrowth (tall bunch grasses and forbs). Fire would be the best option biologically, but the logistics of burning on steep hillsides with little equipment access would make burning a nightmare.

JCDEERMAN

Tons of stuff to do. I'd say the top 2 are creating fire lines for atleast 6 areas and will burn them when the conditions are right - Hopefully Feb-Apr. the other task is to hack-n-squirt and/or girdle several areas. Those areas are still in the planning stages.

Frost seed clover into 4 new perennial clover plots.

Get the traps out. 2022's totals were up to 90 grinners, coons and skunks. Also need to clean up my coyote traps and play around with those

Also need to move some stands around before the leaves come out. A couple I put up late summer were trash due to poor visibility and dumb decision making on my part.

Come about May, we'll be planting about 25 acres of soybeans, with some corn/sorghum screening.

Tons of little things, but those are the bigger ones that come to mind

TNTreeman

Move stands, swap several fields from corn to beans. I've got a killler area near stuff so thick you can't walk through it but it's so rocky outside that you can't plant it. I've been dumping wood chips there for five yrs and this spring I'll spread all those out with my dozer and plant it in the fall. The deer funnel out of that thick area and will browse on whatever weed grows out of the breaks in the rocks so next year hopefully they will actually have something to eat . Build a bridge over a creek for easier access. Lots to do, but I enjoy it as much as hunting

bigtex

I'm going to try and create a couple of acres of thick cover by hinge cutting.
The only cover around is off my property, pine thickets, Kudzu patches etc. They work well for holding deer but often times by the time they leave these areas to feed in my plots it is past shooting light.

Ski

Backpack spray as much acreage as I can of my 3-year-old timber cuts to knock back the hardwood saplings.

That's an idea I've not considered. I'm really nervous about burning because of the terrain and remoteness.

Tons of little things, but those are the bigger ones that come to mind

Holy smokes it sounds like you've got a full plate!!! Make my humble efforts seem like peanuts.

Lots to do, but I enjoy it as much as hunting

Amen! I love this stuff. I think I might be at the point where I actually enjoy it more than hunting. But I suppose the two are so tightly connected that one doesn't seem right without the other. Don't get me wrong. I still love hunting public, but there's just something extra special about plucking the fruits from the land I work so hard on.

often times by the time they leave these areas to feed in my plots it is past shooting light.

That is a problem indeed. Hopefully your efforts correct it and get you some opportunity. I'd never considered wood chips for adding biomass. It's silly because I have a sawmill and am constantly fighting with sawdust trying to figure out what to do with it. I'm pretty absent minded sometimes (a lot of times). That's a great idea I will not forget.

deerhunter10

January-march move stands add a few. Picked up a new property a few weeks ago truly scout it and get it set up. Work on our cover. It has gotten woody for me. Have some crossings to work on with new culverts. We bush hog 80 percent of all of our acres during this time. Trapping as well. Had a shooting house knocked over with the storm last week so we need to fix it. Frost seed clover.

April to may- turkey hunt get our plots planted, going more grain than ever before. Refresh our mineral sites.

June not a ton going on spraying depending on weather clip clover.

July- cameras back out road maintenance.

August and September. Check stands, end of September get our shooting lanes from stands and in our fields cut in.

October fall food plots we drill wheat and oats. Will have standing beans and corn so we will figure out a new plan for this.

November and December enjoy hunting and figuring out our plan for next year.

Main focus of our this year Is our cover getting them less woody and more grassy may have to mulch some of them and redo some. We have great cover but some of our areas we have lacked some.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some things but that's the highlights.

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
Way to much stuff for time available...lol

1) Clear my main plot of some trees I cut to open it up more back last Feb but wasn't able to get completely cleared up before turkey and fawns took over the cover.
2) Create 2 new 1/4 plots.
3) Open up 2 of my current kill plots by 1/8 acre.
4) Plant 27 dunstan chestnuts that I got for 2.75ea from Rural King
5) Plant 16 fruit trees I got on clearance from TSC
6) Put 3 new stands up
7) Move 3 current stands to different spots
8) Continue my hinge & junk tree removal to thicking up areas.
9) Soil Samples
10) Frost seed clover in 2 plots
11) Clear some more shooting lanes.
12) Paint my front gate
13) clear the limbs along my road.

BSK

Also need to move some stands around before the leaves come out. A couple I put up late summer were trash due to poor visibility and dumb decision making on my part.
We move stands in August, after I've got some idea about the acorn crop (very different movement patterns in a good acorn versus poor acorn years), but we certainly mark trees for stand placement in winter. In fact, by the end of deer season we will have a list of stands that absolutely "should be" moved, as well as a list of stands that "could be" moved because they didn't end up being as productive as we hoped. I'll also go around and look for trees in places I think could be hot-spots next year, or are a better location for a nearby stand. Basically, hunting a stand, seeing the deer patterns, and realizing the stand should have been "over there" instead of "here."

Outdoor Enthusiast

1. Build a new elevated shooting house.
2. Chainsaw work to cut small trees on a steep hillside.
3. Hack and squirt as many Osage orange as possible to open up canopy.
4. Hang/move stands.
5. Frost seed clover for new plot.

Rockhound

I've got 25 sawtooth oaks coming from the state, gotta get those out. I have to get some lime on my plots. I plan on having a forestry mulcher come in and create a lane or feaux powerline through my cutover, and clear a few areas that I will have to weedeat every couple years. May create another long narrow plot and plan on putting in a water tank, as well as some rope style licking branches.

BSK

I plan on having a forestry mulcher come in and create a lane or feaux powerline through my cutover...
That's a great idea. The food benefits of timber thinning are short-lived. It peak around the 3rd summer of regrowth and then rapidly decline as saplings begin to form a low canopy that blocks sunlight from the ground. Keeping some of the cut-over in perpetual early-stage regrowth is a great idea. I'm going to try to do the same, but with broadleaf herbicides in a backpack sprayer.

Rockhound

That's a great idea. The food benefits of timber thinning are short-lived. It peak around the 3rd summer of regrowth and then rapidly decline as saplings begin to form a low canopy that blocks sunlight from the ground. Keeping some of the cut-over in perpetual early-stage regrowth is a great idea. I'm going to try to do the same, but with broadleaf herbicides in a backpack sprayer.
The herbicides will probably be better than a weedeater for years to come in my plan actually

UCStandSitter

I really don't think I'll change much. The improvements I made this year brought in (or dumb luck did) more mature bucks than I've ever seen on that property. I worked hard and I think it paid off. The only thing I'd change would be not to get sick for 5 wks during the best part of the season. Outside of that, same plots in the same spots and I might add one set of climbing sticks in another location I have my eye on.

UCStandSitter

Ya, might want to reschedule that! ;)
It really stunk man. Even when I had my energy back I had this vicious cough I couldn't shake so going to the woods was pointless. I sounded like a 75 yr old smoker yackin every 5 mins. I let a lot of fellas walk early season but during that period, I almost found myself regretting it. Now on the side of the sick I'm glad I did. I know it was the right move. At the beginning of the season I said if I eat tag soup, I'm fine with it. I have age requirements in mind and won't take anything smaller and I've stuck with it. Been a couple where it was tough but, I really want to see my area continue to improve. Can be tough with another moron hunting it but...

BSK

Was it Covid, RSV, something else? Although as far as I know I haven't had Covid, in the last couple of years I've had RSV twice. The hacking dry cough lingered for a month in both cases. Hated it.

Latest posts